Bought iPhone 4 but....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rayzha, Feb 21, 2011.

1. rayzha macrumors member

Hi guys,

So I recently bought an iPhone 4 from a friend and I am planning on jailbreaking and unlocking it due to my cell provider being T-mobile. The question I have is, if I do so, is there any way to track it? My friend was a little sketchy about how he got the iPhone and I am a little worried he either found it or stole it :/. I still would like to use it however.

Thanks in advance!

2. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I have a problem with this. I find it hard to believe that your friend is worried! You know you’re worried you’ll get caught with the phone. You need to give it back to the owner.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Does it still has an active sim in?
    If yes answer the phone if the owner calls and arrange to give it back and do the right thing.
    Or if he has mobile me and tracks it you could be facing criminal charges.

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

You cant tell him to give it back to the owner when we dont even know if it was stolen and the OP doesnt even know who the owner is.

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Just remove the original sim card, completely reset the phone and you're good to go.

6. rayzha thread starter macrumors member

Yeah... my friend used it for about 1-2 months apparently. The phone did not come with a sim card and it was reset (as in I have to put a sim and connect to itunes or Jailbreak it to activate it)

7. rayzha thread starter macrumors member

So there's not way of tracking it after I put in my T-mobile sim?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it had the Find my iphone feature after a restore everything on the phone would be gone and would be no way of tracking it.

9. rayzha thread starter macrumors member

I never said my friend is worried. I'm worried. I've read on some other forums that the police/ cell carrier can use your IMEI to track the phone down even if it doesnt have a sim.

10. TimShady macrumors member

Maybe consider just selling it and buying another one that you're more comfortable with, as in the owner bought it new and has the box and everything for it. That's probably what I would do.

11. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If it has bb 2.10.04 or higher, then it cannot be unlocked unfortunately

12. JohnBossu macrumors member

+1

if and only if the iphone was stolen, then the previous owner can use find my iphone app to brick it, or else, asking the carrier to block the service permanently on your device.