bought iPhone from CPW, silent switch broke, now what do I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddrum1458, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ddrum1458 macrumors member

who do I go see? CPW or o2 or Apple?
    The nearest apple store is 20 miles away but there is a cpw and o2 store closeby, which should I go to so I can get a replacement ASAP?

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Go to the same company (Carphone Warehouse) that you bought it from.

3. adversecamber macrumors regular

CPW customer service is utterly appalling but, unfortunately, you have to go back to them. When you buy something the contract is between you and the supplier, not the manufacturer.

Good luck and get ready for quite a fight...

4. ddrum1458 thread starter macrumors member

So what about the manufacturers warranty?

5. adversecamber macrumors regular

Of course the 12 month warranty stands, but the contract with any purchase is between you and the retailer and then between the retailer and the manufacturer. Those are your statutory rights.

CPW can't say 'it's Apple's problem', but in the same way, if you go to Apple, they'll tell you to go to CPW.

Where one buys something is incredibly important when it comes to after-sales service.

6. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Apple Store WILL help you, ring O2 services up, they will say the same thing. If you get it from O2 or CPW then you have the added bonus of their help, but Apple will usually repair items not bought from them.

7. spinstorm macrumors 65816

Why are you all trying to confuse the poor person?

You have 30 days to return a faulty item to CPW.

You are within that time period - so go back and show them and ask for another phone as the one you have is faulty.

They should happily replace it.

If they don't then go to Apple and get them to swap it - they will not give you a new phone out of a new box but you would get a phone that is a "refurb" although realistically there aren't any refurbs for a brand new phone yet so it will be a new phone!

20 miles is not far! get a train if you have to! I had to travel 60 miles to go to Apple so its easy for you... but CPW should change it.

But if they are difficult (and they may well be) then Apple will happily swap it as the one thing I have learnt about Apple genius bar is that they almost always give you a replacement rather than fix anything which is always good!

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

travel the 20 miles! My nearest apple store is a 2 hour drive away, yours is a 30 minute drive :/

Also, all 3 places will help.

CPW - you purchased it from them
    O2 - the phone is in there network
    Apple - the phone is there hardware

Do not believe the lies that only CPW will help you.

9. ddrum1458 thread starter macrumors member

If I take it to an apple store, do I just take the phone or do I have to take everything? I'm currently away from home and on my return trip I'll pass an apple store, so I'll prefer just to have to take the phone. BTW I do have the charger with me aswell. They shouldn't need anything else, should they?
    Thanks in advance.

10. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

They just exchange just the phone. Just bring the phone in thats it, and remember to book a apointment.

11. ddrum1458 thread starter macrumors member

12. yadig22 macrumors newbie

from my experience apple repairs everything even if they didn't sell it

13. adversecamber macrumors regular

Phone them and find out.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

15. ddrum1458 thread starter macrumors member

Took it to West Quay, Southampton today and the guy tried to tell me that it had been forced off so it wouldn't be replaced.
    I basically said I wasn't going to leave until they replaced it and after a while they did manage to actually change it.
    Couldn't book an appointment because I was getting there after four so I just found the first free salesman and told him and he sorted me out.
    Good service in the end but it should have been so much easier. Seen as I've easily spent over £1000 of my money (i'm only 17) buying apple products and I did feel let down big time when they were refusing to do anything.

16. sparkyms macrumors 65816

glad you got it sorted. shame they tried claiming it was forced off though :(