Bought JB'd 3GS, random reboots & stuck on recovery

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rc.square24, Aug 8, 2011.

1. rc.square24 macrumors member

Hi, yesterday I bought a jailbroken and unlocked 16GB 3GS from someone to replace the 3G I have. The phone was out of battery when he brought it (he claims it's been sitting for a while).

So we waited for it to charge a bit until it booted up, then inserted my sim and tested a call and I checked other stuff playing around with it a bit. Everything seemed fine except it rebooted itself all of a sudden, at that point I thought it was because of the very low battery level (now I think of it, it shouldn't do that). When it was booted back up I continued to check a bit and it seemed ok so I payed him and put it to sleep and went home to plug it on charger and left it.

When I returned a couple hours later the battery was showing full when I hit the sleep button to wake it. I started going through the phone now and all a sudden it rebooted itself again, played with it a bit and rebooted itself again, except this time it was stuck at the apple logo for a long time.

I tried holding the power and sleep button to force reboot it but it seemed to be either stuck on a black screen or at the apple logo and iTunes complains for phone in recovery. Tried Recboot to kick it out but doesn't seem to respond.

I forgot to look at the firmware version :(but I remember the baseband is on the iPad 06.15.00

Now obviously i want to know how I can / if I can fix this, and re-jailbreak/unlock it. But i'm not sure if the shsh blobs are saved or for which versions. If I have no option I don't mind reverting to stock firmware, but I read somewhere from before that if the BB is updated to 06.15.00 the phone can't be restored to stock firmwares?

What are my options here? I'll try contacting the person to see if he knows what version the phone is on and if the blobs are saved, but thats if he would reply me (thats if he did know this phone was problematic).

Thanks for any help in advance, this is very disappointing. :mad::mad::mad:

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Another lesson in make sure things work before you pay.. not trying to be mean hoping the next guy will learn. 1st thing to do download tinyumbrella and see what if any shsh blobs are saved. just fallow the link here. http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ the program is pretty self explanatory.

3. rc.square24, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

rc.square24 thread starter macrumors member

4. djdipset91 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem except im on iPhone 3GS. firmware 4.2.1 on baseband 6.15.00. ive tried everything. used tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery, no fix. tried recboot to exit recovery, it just reboots back into recovery. redsnow isnt allowing me to get into DFU mode, saying an error occurred. i try to restore to custom firmware on itunes but it says the firmware is not compatible, yet i have tried 3 different ones. i tried pwnage, no fix. i cant even get into DFU mode, and i know im doing it right.

5. rc.square24 thread starter macrumors member

Is it possible for tinyumbrella to tell if there's any shsh blobs saved and the firmware version of the phone if it is stuck in recovery and was never synced / used tinyumbrala on the computer?

Thanks

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

if Itunes will sync tinyumbrella will sync too. and it should list any blobs saved.

7. rc.square24 thread starter macrumors member

Guess I lucked out big time, the one this guy sold me was a repair unit he got from Apple less than 3 months ago, so the Apple store gave me a new one free of charge due to a repeating repair within 90 days. On 4.3.3 too!

Thanks for all the help although it didn't work.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

hmmm and people wonder why I get grumpy sometimes. Oh well your happy that's the important thing right! ;)

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

apple replaced a phone that was on an iPad baseband?

10. rc.square24 thread starter macrumors member

The guy tried to restore it which obviously didn't work, he said he was gonna run some diagnostics on it if it restored. Since it didn't, I don't think he even checked that far.

So I guess it depends.