Bought Leopard from Apple Store, return copy from Amazon?

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
So I went ahead and bought Leopard last night at the release. I haven't had time to do all the pre-installing work I want to do (need to buy a HDD and want to do a proper backup) so it is still packaged. I was thinking today that it would be nice to save the approx. $30 (including tax) and just order a copy from Amazon. However it would be nice to not wait for the copy from Amazon. Could I open the copy of Leopard now and then buy a copy of Leopard from Amazon and return it to the Apple Store when it arrives?

Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I bought from a store locally, don't expect the $30 rebate to show.

Be nice if it would.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
Does the part number vary from store to store?

So I went ahead and called the Apple Store about returning a copy bought from Amazon. The lady said it would not be a problem as long as the part number of the Amazon copy matches the number on the receipt. I asked if part numbers vary, and she said it could... For example an iPod bought from Target or Best Buy may have a different part number than one bought directly from Apple. Is this true? I knew that part numbers varied from different iPod modes but not where they were bought.

Thoughts???

[EDIT] My part number is MB021Z/A

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
So I went ahead and called the Apple Store about returning a copy bought from Amazon. The lady said it would not be a problem as long as the part number of the Amazon copy matches the number on the receipt. I asked if part numbers vary, and she said it could... For example an iPod bought from Target or Best Buy may have a different part number than one bought directly from Apple. Is this true? I knew that part numbers varied from different iPod modes but not where they were bought.

Thoughts???

WOW you actually called them about this? Just return the amazon copy to the apple store. The lady is just messing with you or retarded, either way you get to do this scheme.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
WOW you actually called them about this? Just return the amazon copy to the apple store. The lady is just messing with you or retarded, either way you get to do this scheme.
I decided it would be good from the store if there might be a problem rather than just speculate and possible have to hassle if a problem were to arise. From what I have gathered from another thread, the part number is the same no matter the store it was purchased from.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
I just spoke to a guy from the 1-800-MY-APPLE who also seemed to believe that the part number would be different, thus making it impossible to return. It looks like I'll just have to wait for the Amazon copy to arrive and return the Apple Store copy.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Thoughts???

Yes, it's quite common for manufacturers to assign diff part numbers for diff stores. It helps stores offer "a best price guarantee" without having to actually honor it. Example: You see Apple iPod 80GB in a Target ad, part M2144LL/A and go to BestBuy for a price match. Oops BBs part number is M2143LL/A. Sorry, no price match for you.

It also prevents people from returning gifts to stores where they weren't bought.

jbardi

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2005
They will actually give you the money back at the Apple Store? I thought the policy was no refund on opened software product due to simply duping the disk and trying to get your money back.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
Yes, it's quite common for manufacturers to assign diff part numbers for diff stores. It helps stores offer "a best price guarantee" without having to actually honor it. Example: You see Apple iPod 80GB in a Target ad, part M2144LL/A and go to BestBuy for a price match. Oops BBs part number is M2143LL/A. Sorry, no price match for you.

It also prevents people from returning gifts to stores where they weren't bought.
That is interesting because it looks like copies of iLife '08 that were bought from different stores have the same part number. I guess we will see when the Amazon copy arrives.

They will actually give you the money back at the Apple Store? I thought the policy was no refund on opened software product due to simply duping the disk and trying to get your money back.
The copy of Leopard I bought from the Apple Store is unopened and still sealed.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Colorado Springs / Ohio
If anyone is curious I received the copy of Leopard from Amazon today and it reads the same part number "MB021Z/A." Guess this goes to show that the people on MR are smarter than those that work for Apple.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Work a couple extra hours to make up the difference, and think of all the time you will save not making phone calls, posting in threads about and driving back and forth to the Apple store to return the Amazon copy, plus the gas. How much will you really make out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.