Bought Leopard from Apple Store, return copy from Amazon?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by buffalo, Oct 27, 2007.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

So I went ahead and bought Leopard last night at the release. I haven't had time to do all the pre-installing work I want to do (need to buy a HDD and want to do a proper backup) so it is still packaged. I was thinking today that it would be nice to save the approx. $30 (including tax) and just order a copy from Amazon. However it would be nice to not wait for the copy from Amazon. Could I open the copy of Leopard now and then buy a copy of Leopard from Amazon and return it to the Apple Store when it arrives?

Thanks!

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I bought from a store locally, don't expect the $30 rebate to show.

Be nice if it would.

4. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Does the part number vary from store to store?

So I went ahead and called the Apple Store about returning a copy bought from Amazon. The lady said it would not be a problem as long as the part number of the Amazon copy matches the number on the receipt. I asked if part numbers vary, and she said it could... For example an iPod bought from Target or Best Buy may have a different part number than one bought directly from Apple. Is this true? I knew that part numbers varied from different iPod modes but not where they were bought.

Thoughts???

[EDIT] My part number is MB021Z/A

5. 1000000 macrumors newbie

WOW you actually called them about this? Just return the amazon copy to the apple store. The lady is just messing with you or retarded, either way you get to do this scheme.

6. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I decided it would be good from the store if there might be a problem rather than just speculate and possible have to hassle if a problem were to arise. From what I have gathered from another thread, the part number is the same no matter the store it was purchased from.

7. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

I just spoke to a guy from the 1-800-MY-APPLE who also seemed to believe that the part number would be different, thus making it impossible to return. It looks like I'll just have to wait for the Amazon copy to arrive and return the Apple Store copy.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, it's quite common for manufacturers to assign diff part numbers for diff stores. It helps stores offer "a best price guarantee" without having to actually honor it. Example: You see Apple iPod 80GB in a Target ad, part M2144LL/A and go to BestBuy for a price match. Oops BBs part number is M2143LL/A. Sorry, no price match for you.

It also prevents people from returning gifts to stores where they weren't bought.

9. jbardi macrumors member

They will actually give you the money back at the Apple Store? I thought the policy was no refund on opened software product due to simply duping the disk and trying to get your money back.

10. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

That is interesting because it looks like copies of iLife '08 that were bought from different stores have the same part number. I guess we will see when the Amazon copy arrives.

The copy of Leopard I bought from the Apple Store is unopened and still sealed.

11. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

If anyone is curious I received the copy of Leopard from Amazon today and it reads the same part number "MB021Z/A." Guess this goes to show that the people on MR are smarter than those that work for Apple.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Work a couple extra hours to make up the difference, and think of all the time you will save not making phone calls, posting in threads about and driving back and forth to the Apple store to return the Amazon copy, plus the gas. How much will you really make out.