Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramnj

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
NJ
...a new Mac Mini came out. I have the i5 2.3 with 2GB.

I'm new to the Mac environment. I have installed software and have over 15G in data and music. I don't want to loose iWorks and some other software.

Can I just do a backup using Time Machine and once I exchange Mac Mini's, just do a restore and be back in business?

Thanks.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Yes that will be fine.
Backup using time machine then restore this backup to the new mini. It will put all files and settings back into their original location.
;)

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Yes that will be fine.
Backup using time machine then restore this backup to the new mini. It will put all files and settings back into their original location.
;)

Does that include apps from outside of the app store?

I downloaded MS Office through my school. I'd rather not have to spend another $50.

Thanks!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Does that include apps from outside of the app store?

I downloaded MS Office through my school. I'd rather not have to spend another $50.

Thanks!

Yes, it includes all apps, whether they were purchased in the App Store or not.
Bear in mind every time I have done this MS Office seems to lose its license settings. So although it goes across you will need to re-enter your license code once more for it to reactivate and you're done!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Yes, it includes all apps, whether they were purchased in the App Store or not.
Bear in mind every time I have done this MS Office seems to lose its license settings. So although it goes across you will need to re-enter your license code once more for it to reactivate and you're done!

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.