Bought Mac os x snow leopard.. NO WHERE TO INSTALL

aaronp1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
so i went out and bought a copy of Mac OS X Snow leopard and i tried installing it and it works till the screen comes up where i have to "select where you want to install"...... and there is no selection for my blank hard drive..?

HELP

aaronp1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
You need to go to the 'utilities' section and choose 'Disk Utility' to format the hard drive first.
People keep telling me to format it ... i think i have? im not sure quite.. how to do it? step by step instructions would be nice.. pleasE?

yayitsezekiel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Irvine, CA
People keep telling me to format it ... i think i have? im not sure quite.. how to do it? step by step instructions would be nice.. pleasE?
is your drive mac os extended journaled?

go to disk utility, select your drive, and format it.

please note that formatting it will erase all data, so backup all of that drive's data if you have any.

Attachments

aaronp1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
is your drive mac os extended journaled?

go to disk utility, select your drive, and format it.

please note that formatting it will erase all data, so backup all of that drive's data if you have any.
i noticed that u clicked a different one that wasnt mac os extended journeled?

should i click journaled?

then what? i click erase?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
i noticed that u clicked a different one that wasnt mac os extended journeled?

should i click journaled?

then what? i click erase?
You don't want MS-DOS FAT for your boot drive! You want Mac OS Extended Journaled. The first option. Name your harddrive while you are at it - do this before you erase the harddrive.

After this is all done you should return to the installation part and everything should be in order.