Bought Mac Pro 8 Core with 2 Dell 30" Monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Xplicit, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Xplicit macrumors member

Well thanks for all your help. I have managed my decision

I have bought

mac pro 8 Core with
    1GB RAM ( will buy more, because I can get it 3 times as cheap. Its good ram, just i get it cheaper)
    250GB HHD
    X1900 512MB
    Aiport Wifi
    Wired Keyboard + mouse

2 Dell 30" Monitors,

I took advantage of the Ipod + Free printer,

Mac Pro + Ipod + Printer total with tax (14% in canada) came to 5 703, minus 130 (printer rebate - 200 for Ipod rebate) total comes to about 5 400 (I got the 30GB Ipod)

Monitors : Cost 1799 X 2 + tax comes to 4101.72. I have bough two of them for a price of 1265 Each. Came to 2888 with tax.

Total came to :$8288

Eesh, that looks like alot, but I have till Next Year to pay all of that off, I bough it on my visa , I got 1 year b4 I get interest. :)

I will post pictures once I get it, They said i will have everything around First week of august

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wow! Congratulations!

Wow that's a lot of moola! But congrats.

3. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

Congrats indeed!

For every 1 person posting here about their purchases, there have to be at least 10 lurkers that aren't.

Maybe Apple doesn't need to upgrade after all :)

4. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

do you guys think 2 30" monitors is way to much. ? I have a20" monitor, so im thinking of sending 1 back once i get it.

5. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Are you a thief? because your machine just stole my jetta outside.

Report back on those monitors, take some pics too, would love to see that beastly setup.

6. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Depends on what you're doing on your machine... or in your case, your command center ;)

7. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

No.

Right now I have a 21" (regular), 21" (regular) and 20" (wide) LCD hooked up and I wish I just had some 30's.

If you are comfortable paying that, why not? Barring unforeseen damage, those monitors are the only part of this machine you'll be using in 10 years. Monitors are like luggage and herpes, you get them once and don't have to get them again.

8. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

I have 1.
    It is HUGE!!!!!!!!
    I had a 20", but wanted bigger. With 2X30's you should be in virtual reality mode. I think if you sit close enough, all you will see is display!!!
    Congrats.

9. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

I use mine for 3D Modeling and Animation.

Well I got a spare 20" Monitor that id like to use, but I donnt know . Im kinda thinking it will be too big. Im thining of sending one back if i think 2 is to much. but i will keep it for now. Im gona talk it over with some one who uses 30" Display, u guys think its good that i should keep both.

10. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

sell it to me at a discount if you dont want it.

11. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

lol id rather get 1 , and save money then to sell you one :)

What are your guys expierence with Dual monitors? good bad or ugly

12. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

i had a 24" dell monitor and that was very sweet. everything was top notch except that it was a bit too plastic for me. but you only noticed the "excess plastic" while moving it around. if it just stands in one place you won't notice that.

dunno about 30" though!

13. flappo macrumors regular

oh nos you shoulda waited , this is coming out and that and oh that too and maybe even that !!!!!

:)

then again , you'll probably be making loadsa dough while 'they're' all ranting on about hypothetical drivel this time next year

nice setup - congrats !!

14. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

well I decided to go with 1 30" and then use my 20" on the side.

There is a store is openig up and can beat the price for what i paied for a monitor. So I wll see if i need more room.

Thanks :D My desk is not big enough. maybe during xmas time i can upgrade my desk

15. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Just as an FYI the 8 core Mac Pro went on the refurb site for close to $1000 off this morning in Canada. The only thing you would need is the ATI card.

Attached Files:

16. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Pricey but exciting! Congrats!

I have 2 23" Apple Cinema Display monitors and they work great. But my first impression was they were HUGE. It took up 2/3 of 72" long desk of mine. Of course, the other 1/3 was occupied with the tower and stacks of disks. So, I think 1 30" and 1 used 20" is a good idea.

BTW, I use them for video editing with FCP. No 3D stuff or gaming. I ended up getting another desk for other stuff, like my old but still running fine PC notebook, books and stationary. So get yourself a large desk. It's all about efficiency, right?

Once you get yourself used to 2 30" monitors (after a couple trials;)) though, I am not sure if you'd want to return it really. Even 23" is amazing, although I've never had experience with Dell monitors, I am sure 2 30" monitors are going to look like a really wide ANAMORPHIC screen! Envy of ya!

Have fun!

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Wow .. Awesome. :cool:

Get that extra RAM as soon as possible ... 1 Gb in an 8 core would be driving a Ferrari and filling it up with diesel .. :eek:

FJ

18. MacTO macrumors member

MacTO

Totally agree. 1GB would barely scratch the need.

19. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

Well my parents are willing to chip in 888 bucks so i wouldonly pay 2000 for them, agh! why didnt they tell me this b4 i canceled, time 2 re-order.

20. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Woah nice system! I want to see some pictures of those dells in action though. 2 30" is crazy!

21. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

thnkx will call 2 find out\

22. Xplicit thread starter macrumors member

kwood thank - I have managed to change my order at the last second.

I bought the one, but I'm wondering if i can get the card somewhere else. and get the aiport somewhere

23. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

you need to take it to an Apple Store (or authorized center) to have it installed. It's not a user-installable card but it's pretty cheap to add.

24. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

$3,399 Refurb 8-Core 3GHz In USA

In US it's only $3,399.

25. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

That makes me sad :(.

You can buy the Airport cards from an authorized service provider for about $100 installed (or do it yourself). The ATI card is expensive if you purchase it from Apple. I would shop around and see if you can get it cheaper.