Bought MacBook Air yesterday...... Broke the today :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by botchok5, Apr 9, 2012.

1. botchok5 macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2010
    *I mean't broke today*

2011 13.3" MacBook Air
    1.8Ghz, i7
    4Gb Ram /256ssd

So I bought that yesterday, downgrading from my 15" MacBook Pro. I was amazed by how fast it boots and handling data's. It was working all nice and well last night, downloaded my apps etc.

And then............... this morning it was dead when I opened the lid, it wouldn't turn on at all. And started to smell something burning inside it.

So I took it to the Apple store, they took it onboard for repairs. My Uni dissertation work wasn't backed up :'(.

What could've caused it, I don't understand!
  2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    I'm sure they will tell you what caused it, once they have a chance to investigate. How could we possibly know? We weren't there.
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    I suspect you'll find out the issue when you go back to Apple to pick up the repaired unit.

I do suggest you start doing some sort of backups if that has your only copy of your data and papers.
  4. Coltaine macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2012
    I know it sounds redundant, but this is another reason why you should always keep backups of your data - especially important data like a dissertation. Best to keep more than one copy of the really important stuff.

Things like these happen.
    Sometimes machines just break down.
    You can only hope that the HDD is still OK and you can retrieve the data.

I feel really sorry for you.
  5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

May 25, 2007
    Birmingham, UK
    Wouldn't your Uni work be on the 15" MBP or did you delete everything?
  6. nexsta macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2007
    This thread is like asking: Why are there production flaws - here is the answer: This computer was partly build by humans and humans aren't perfect. End of the thread.
  7. KPOM macrumors G5

Oct 23, 2010
    If it's a fried logic board, there's a good chance you'll get it back with the data. If not, then I'd suggest getting a Time Capsule for the future (it makes backups automatically).

I once spilled a glass of wine on my 2010 MacBook Air. They had to replace the logic board, keyboard, trackpad, battery, and some other circuitry. Amazingly, it came back with all the data on it (though I did have a backup).
  8. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    If you only had it for a day I cannot imagine you lost that much work. It sucks, but some machines are defective. Data does get lost. For something like a thesis, I would have like 5 backups.

FOr my thesis, I used DropBox, thumb Drives, Time Machine and DVD burns every week. Just too risky to play around with.
  9. richpjr macrumors 68030

May 9, 2006
    A one day old fries and they didn't give you a new one?
  10. organerito macrumors 6502

Nov 9, 2008
    When I was working on my dissertation. I also had a backup on external, email, dropbox and thumb drive after each page I wrote. I still have all of the versions. I have more than 80 versions.
  11. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    >>A one day old fries and they didn't give you a new one? <<

My thought too!!!

And backups are a necessity. Multiple backups.
    Friend of mine, teacher, had his class grades on his computer and 1 backup on a thumb drive... missed his pocket one morning while rushing to get ready...
    Dropped the thumb drive and stepped on it.... crushed it.

12. botchok5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2010
    That's what I thought as well. I brought it in, genius guy checked it. Opened it infront of me, then there was a burnt/toxic smell. And that was it, he just told me 1-3 days for repairs.

I restored my MBP to the original settings after I transferred the data to my new MB Air. Because I put up my MBP on fleebay.
  13. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Aug 3, 2010
    If i were you, i'd request for a new mba as a replacement. Since its a day old, you could return it and get a new one.
  14. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Aug 16, 2010
    You should get an exchange... since it's only ONE day that you had the machine!
  15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    Ask a genius if they can pull your hard drive out of the air and put it into a new air. It's a trivial task to do, and will save you a TON of heartache.
  16. silver8ack macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2010
    I would demand a new one. I would not accept a 'repaired' item the day after I bought something.
  17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    A brand new from the store should be swapped out without question!
  18. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2010
    Central CA

Crap, when I was writing my dissert, I had multiple copies (on floppies, back in the day), at home, and at work.

*And* wouldn't you know it, my hard drive did fail! I didn't lose more than a couple hours of work, but it did take two days for the brand new hard drive to show up (all 2 gigs of it! PowerBook 1400cs only came with a 770MB hard drive).

I think what motivated me to keep multiple copies was paranoia, due in no small part to several years earlier, reading in the school newspaper, about somebody plaintively asking not for their stolen laptop, but for their dissertation file and accompanying data files. It seemed they had gone out on some geological expedition, collected years worth of data at places far away, was writing their dissert...and had it all on their laptop, with no backup of anything whatsoever...sad, pathetic, I'm not sure, I just didn't want to be in that boat.

I think with low failure rates, people are getting complacent. I'm still paranoid, but I know I don't back-up as often as I should.

I hope that the hard drive is ok. If it is "just" a fried logic board, then there is a good chance your data will be there. Let us know how it turns out!
  19. DvlFig macrumors newbie

Mar 26, 2012
    Oh heck no, like the others said, you should demand a new MBA!
  20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

Jun 10, 2010
    I honestly would have raised six kinds of hell if they tried to tell me that my new, day old machine had to be repaired.

I'd go back and speak to someone else. That is simply unacceptable.
  21. radiohed macrumors regular

Oct 17, 2007
    Portland, ME
    I agree completely that a defective machine that is one day old should have been replaced without question. :eek: They should also help you to get the data off the defective laptop. Anything less is so un-apple like! :p
  22. botchok5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2010
    Hey guys,

I just got it back from the Apple Store repair today. Had to call them up after checking the online repair status, because they didn't call me!
    So, I asked the guy what happened. He said the logic board was completely FRIED! Which I was a bit like..................... whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
    Luckily all my work are still on the ssd, phew!

However, I have a question. Is it normal for the CPU temperature to be around 60-80 degrees? When all i'm doing is browsing the net. And the fan is just sitting on 2000 rpm. I don't remember by MacBook Pro being anywhere near this. Plus the fan kicks in asap when it does.
  23. ZipZap macrumors 603

Dec 14, 2007
    Forget the question...Why aren't you having them move the SSD and getting a NEW MBA?

I would not take that unit back. In fact, I would have the copy the data from the old SSD and insist on a brand new MBA.

This seems odd...
  24. botchok5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2010
    I haven't really asked, I didn't know about the 14 days return.
  25. chakraj macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2008
    So Cal