Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
I'm still fairly new here so if this isn't the right place for this and I'm pretty sure it's not please feel free to move it to the correct place!

Anyways, I won a MacBook on eBay about 2 weeks ago, the seller shipped out priority mail with delivery confirmation the next day after payment. Well, since the beginning of June almost it has been supposedly left the sort facility in Tampa, fl and in route to it's destination. Well, needless to say it still hasn't showed up and all the post office can tell me is that it was at least addressed to the right city and state. The good thing is I live in a small town and we all have po boxes so as long as city and state is right I'll get it. Now here's my question, I've decided to let this run it's course until Friday and that's it. So, is the seller responsible to refund me my money or is that an issue I need to take up with the post office since I did pay for insurance? In my opinion, I think the seller should have to deal with the post office on the insurance and I should get a refund through paypal but my eBay use is somewhat limited so I'm not sure how this would work. I'm hoping someone here is eBay savvy and will know the answer.Thanks!

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Did he provide tracking info. Was the package insured? Did you pay with paypal?

If it has tracking what does the info say? Estimated arrival time. I think priority mail is like 5-13 days but not sure.

If paid with paypal you can always open a dispute or even with eBay as well. You should be covered with buyer protection.

If package is lost it is sellers responsibility to file claim as far as I know.

What are sellers ratings? Feedback ? Does he sell a lot on eBay or only once in a while.

I would get onto eBay and look into a dispute or check the ask seller question link and tell the seller 2 weeks is too long for package to take to get to you.

I have had stuff shipped from china that only took 2 weeks. If t shipped from Florida shouldn't take too long even to california. I would be suspect right away. If something took 2 weeks on domestic shipping. But if you have tracking info track it.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
He has 14 positive feedback and it's all pretty much selling apple products. It was actually shipped from Michigan, made it to Tampa, fl? I mapquested it and where it shipped from is only 100 more miles from where it was last scanned. To me it made no sense for it to be 882 miles from me when it was shipped only to be sent to Tampa, fl which is 787 miles from me. The seller provided delivery confirmation number which as it's scanned it shows where it's at to an extent. I don't think the issue is with the seller but rather the postal service. As I mentioned the postal service was able to tell me where the package was supposed to be going and it is my city and state. I think at this point usps has lost the package as priority mail is advertised as 2-3 days but not guaranteed. I personally have never had a priority mail take over 3 days. That's what I'm trying to find out though, if the postal service lost the MacBook, does the seller need to give me a refund a d deal with the postal service themselves or is that my job to deal with them??

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
The seller would be the one who files a claim with the postal service. The person who mailed the package and paid the insurance at the post office is always the one who files a claim, not the recipient.

If it is showing as shipped I'd wait a little longer. But I'd go ahead and let the seller know the situation incase more action needs to be taken. I believe you have 30 days before you lose the right to file a ebay claim, but that might have changed.

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Contact seller. Tell him usps has obviously lost the package. He needs to file a claim with them but in the mean time you should request he provides a refund until the matter is resolved. If I sell on eBay I always wait until buyer has received item before speding or doing anything with the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.