Bought macbook pro .. few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elie.fares, Aug 28, 2009.

1. elie.fares macrumors regular

hey, I bought my 1st mac: the new macbook pro 13'' off amazon on Wednesday.
    It will get to me later in September when my uncle comes to Lebanon but in the meantime, I have a few questions.

1) Will Snow Leopard be included in the package or do I have to purchase it separately through apple?
    2) I bought 4GB RAM and a 500 GB HD off amazon also. I've seen the manuals and downloaded videos off youtube on how to change them but my question is: after I change the hard drive, can someone give me exact steps to follow to install the OS?
    I've never owned a mac and I have no idea what to expect. Moreover, I've never installed an OS on any of my Windows laptops.

Thanks for the help :)

2. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

You'll need to buy snow leopard seperately, i'd do it now on the apple website on the up to date program and you'll get it for like $10.

I think you just slot in the install disc and follow the on screen steps. I'll have to do it for myself soon but I can't see it being anymore complicated than that.

3. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

hey!

1. u gotta wait until u receive it, if does have it, congrats! if not, just apply for the up-to-date program and u;ll be eligible for an SL disc for just 10$! ;)

2. i think u'll have to try to install it normally, because i dont know if u'll have to install leopard first and then install SL.... just wait, get ur stuff and try... ;)

good luck! and congrats on buying ur MacBook Pro!

4. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

doesnt the 13" come with 4gb? i dont think you have to buy that

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably will have Leopard because there's still Leopard MBPs in the inventory at this stage. You need to go to apples up to date program to get the near free (10 bucks) SL disc - or you don't want to wait pick up the SL disk from an apple store for 24 bucks

Insert install disc into drive
    Start computer and hold the C key down until you see it booting up off the disk
    wait
    continue hitting next and agreeing to the ELUA
    Select the disk
    hit continue and either customize the install (you'll be then presented to deselect/reselect components)
    Make sure you hit skip when the install process does start and its verifying the disk - slow and unneeded.
    Once done, you'll be all set.

This by the way is the typical steps to install a fresh copy of OSX on a drive. If you have Snow Leopard there may be some minor variations.

6. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

^ no, I bought the 2.26 GHz one.. it doesn't have 4GB.

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It goes by the purchase date for the most part unless you get lucky. Depending on who you purchased it from off of Amazon the computer most likely was sitting around on a shelf with Leopard, and was shipped off to you. Apple can send people out to insert drop-in disks for retailers (typically just Apple stores, they came once to our edu store for Leopard) that are essentially in the box for you to upgrade yourself. They will do the drop-in method for all machines that are already boxed up before the date of release (or announcment, I'm sure it depends on their stock), and only after those machines are gone will people start recieving ones with SL installed on.

8. elie.fares thread starter macrumors regular

I read on another thread that the SL DVD may be included.. I'm hoping it happens but I'm guessing it's a long shot.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you'll have to contact apple and they'll ship out a copy of SL for you.