Bought MacBook Pro from Best Buy 1/29, am I screwed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modesty, Feb 3, 2008.

1. modesty macrumors member

I have been looking into laptops for about 3 months now, and decided to go with the MacBook Pro. I bought it on a Best Buy credit card for the 6 months no interest. I didn't know about these forums and the new Pro's until after I bought it. Last night I read all of these posts and it upset me so much. If I just waited 2 weeks I could have had a better laptop for it seems like the same price.

Is there anything I can do? If I return the laptop there is a 300$ restocking fee. Would the price of the old MacBook Pro's go down, so that I could get a price adjust? I am wondering if there is anything I can do to either get some money back or get a new Macbook (probably not going to happen.)

2. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

The MacBook Pro line has remained constant in price, and the rumors seem to point to that remaining true. The only way Best Buy will return your unit minus restocking fee is if it is clearly defective (and even then they will try to point you towards Apple for a fix). I would just go in, ask to speak with a manager, and be as reasonable as possible. Kindness seems to do the trick often.

On the other hand, you have a great machine. While a "new model" will be released, it doesn't diminish the quality and beauty of the product you currently have.

3. modesty thread starter macrumors member

What will happen the current line? Will there be a price drop? Or do they just stop selling them?

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I agree. The MBP is a beautiful machine. You won't be disappointed, even though there is technically something with a few improvements out there. I'd say just save yourself the hassle and just love on your MBP. You won't regret purchasing it.

5. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Apple stores will generally sell the old models at a lower price when the new models are in. Best Buy will do the same, but you may have to ask for it. Ive never seen a "clearance" tag on an Apple Machine at Best Buy or Apple. When the Aluminum iMac's came out @ the Best Buy near me, I witnessed a White iMac being sold for a 200 dollar discount.... But it was not advertised or signed anywhere.

6. modesty thread starter macrumors member

The only thing about it that doesn't make me feel too bad is that it seems like these updates seem happen more than once a year. They might get upgraded in 6 months again. I don't really care that much, since I plan on having this machine for atleast 2 years (could pass it to the girlfriend at that point) but just the fact that I bought it and the next day I find out I could have waited and got a better machine is very frustrating.

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I believe with Best Buy if you return any computer it can only be exchanged for a new one or get a refund minus the restocking fee. When I was purchasing my MM I was looking at those terms very closely. Was there a reason you didn't purchase it online where it would have been much cheaper? Was time a constraint?

8. audiomixer macrumors member

I too have one of the current MBpro and I love this thing. There will always be model updates and you can go nutty trying to stay ahead of it. Just enjoy the machine. You won't be disappointed.

9. modesty thread starter macrumors member

It seems like it's more expensive online because I would have to pay for tax (and maybe shipping I'm not sure.) I drove to Delaware so I didn't have to pay tax. If I exchange for a new one do I have to pay the restocking fee?

10. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

my only regret with buying my current macbook pro was that I didn't go with the 256mb graphics card.

If they end up offering one with a 512mb card at some point in the future, I'll probably sell my current one and upgrade.

11. DocSmitty macrumors regular

If Apple releases a new model, the price of the OLD ones *may* go down in BBY's computer system. If that is the case you can get a 30-day price match (may only be 14 on laptops, I forget..) to match whatever reduced price they offer. Your only other option is to sweet talk a manager into waiving the restocking fee. Good luck with that....

Oh, and don't miss any payments on that no interest deal or they'll shove all that back interest right up your tailpipe :)

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Hurray for Delaware's tax free shopping! I live in PA, work in DE.

About 20 months ago I bought a MacBook for my wife. I bought the base model and RAM upgrade. After I got it home and opened, I realized that the Apple store didn't give me 'credit' for the existing RAM, i.e., my price was about $50 more than if I had configured the machine with a RAM upgrade via the online store. So I decided to return the machine and buy the upgraded "ultimate" model. Cost me more than the $50 difference, but I figured the faster clock speed (1.8GHz vs 2.0GHz and the DVD burner vs. combo drive) might be useful for her in the future. The sales gal allowed me to exchange the machine without the restocking fee, even though the machine, and the extra RAM module box, had been opened.

13. rsm5068 macrumors regular

Yep you're screwed, kinda... The old ones that have already been assembled will drop in price. The new improved models will remain constant in price but have better features. I say just stick with it now, the difference between now and Tuesday's will be minimal other than the MB keyboard and processor architecture, and maybe the GPU.

14. zero_bit macrumors newbie

Honestly I would just pack up the MBP, bring the receipt, and try. My Best Buy was more than forgiving when I returned 3 or 4 open-box routers just to see which one would give the best range in my house. I was a little surprised at their great open-box return policy.

Like someone else suggested. Head over there, be as courteous as possible and give it a shot.

15. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Yeah.. only thing is there is a restocking fee on laptops and cameras / camcorders.. no such thing for routers ;) Still, if you're nice and/or lucky enough to get a generous manager.. well, good luck ;)

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The only thing that I think you got duped on was the 6 months no interest. That is only 6 months no interest IF you pay it off in 6 months. If you still owe, ALL of that 6 months interest gets added on after the 6 months.

Now, enjoy your laptop. Nothing wrong with buying it when you did, I bought mine at BestBuy back in July on my BB card. Prices on the MBP will not go down. Just keep what you have, it's still a great laptop and has plenty of power.

17. modesty thread starter macrumors member

I'll wait til Tues and see what happens. I need the laptop for work for the time being. If there's a price drop, hopefully I'll get the difference.

18. Marioarm2 macrumors newbie

I work at BestBuy and I know the people at my Customer Service are pretty strict. Since the return policy for computers is 14 days with a 15% restocking fee, I would wait as long as possible (not past the 14 days obviously) until you see the new MBP before thinking about returning it.

Just make sure it's worth the $300 dollar loss.

19. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd just get a notebook if you want one. What does it matter if there is a new one out, it doesn't diminish the value or usefulness of your current computer.