Bought MacBook pro in the US

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quantie, Aug 6, 2013.

1. quantie macrumors newbie

quantie

Hello,

I'm from the Netherlands and i bought the mb pro in Los Angeles a week ago. Now im back in my own country but the adapter is a problem. I ordered one duckhead (european) but i have to wait 10-20 days for it to be delivered. Now i found an adapter and it says: 2.5A 250V~. It's not an Apple adapter just some I found but it has the same input, like, it fits perfectly.

Now on the US adapter that i took out was written: 2.5A 125V.
    That's a difference of 125V and i don't know if i should use this one that i found, because it might be dangerous for the macbook (too much Volt i think??).

Is it possible to use this one you think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would wait, you're risking damaging your computer because you have to wait a couple of weeks for the native adapter. While the amperage is the same the higher volts may damage the circuitry.

3. quantie thread starter macrumors newbie

quantie

And just to use it for 20-30 minutes so it's 80 till 90% and then not charging anymore?
    Or is that too risky..?

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

With all the news about damage caused by knockoff adapters, I wouldn't plug that in to a new Mac. If you are itching to play with the new machine, how about borrow an adapter from someone? I have borrowed chargers from other nice people even in coffee shops - just be polite and have a smile!

5. quantie thread starter macrumors newbie

quantie

yes you're right but there's no one around right now and i'm at home so that's a problem haha..

edit: in the US they have 120V at 60 HZ and different sockets.
    in the Netherlands we have 230V at 50 HZ.

Is this important ?

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The 125v and 250v are the voltage of the power going into the adapter (from your wall), not the voltage going to the notebook.

Does the adapter you found connect directly to your Macbook via the Magsafe connector or is it something that goes between the wall and your Apple power adapter?

7. quantie thread starter macrumors newbie

quantie

Take a look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

That power plug would not cause any issues but it would not provide you with a proper earthing and you may experience tingling sensations on the aluminum body while charging.

9. quantie thread starter macrumors newbie

quantie

alright so it's possible, thankyoou!

10. hkoster1 macrumors regular

That little ducktail doesn't have separate earth anyway, whereas the one attached to a power cable does have separate earth. And, yes, the little one sometimes gives off a tingling sensation on my 15" MBPR, wheras the one with the power cable doesn't. So, it seems that pushing a power cable from an old Airport Extreme Base Station or AppleTV into the adapter will work...

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, that should be ok. As you can see the Apple power brick is capable of receiving 240/250v AC without problems. In the absolute worst case you might blow your power brick but it shouldn't damage your laptop.

12. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I used this solution for three weeks in Italy, with no problems

13. wct097 macrumors 6502

Yeah... I wouldn't sweat that at all. The plug is nothing more than a venue for connecting power to the brick. You're doing that (perhaps without a ground). Go for it.