Bought maxed out rMBp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KingPush, Oct 9, 2013.

  1. KingPush macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2013
    #1
    Hey all so this past weekend I purchased a brand new maxed out rMBP (2.8Ghz, 16gb of RAM and 512gb ssd).

    I was wondering if there will be a significant difference/performance (or battery) when compared to the Haswell rmbp? Im asking this question because I'm considering returning it on the 19th then holding out for the Haswell announcement.
     
  2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    #2
    Hi,

    Congratulations on your purchase. Well, considering the already substantially high specs of your new rMBP, you most likely won't notice the difference between this and a maxed out Haswell. However, if you're planning to use it for graphics intensive tasks, you might want to return it. Also, battery life and the internal GPU will receive a bump. So, if battery life is important for you, return it.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards
    Raptor
     
  3. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

    rabidz7

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2012
    Location:
    Ohio
    #3
    Wait to see if the new rMBP is having a dGPU. If it doesn't have one keep your current rMBP.
     
  4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    #4
    Good point. But then again, nobody knows when they will be revealed, so the OP might have to take a shot in the dark. I suppose it's a safe gamble; Apple would be stupid to bring the Macbook PRO's performance down to the Macbook Air level.

    Regards
    Raptor
     
  5. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

    Ursadorable

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2013
    Location:
    The Frozen North
    #5
    If they don't announce a new rMBP on the 22nd, or silently release them on the 15th, I'm going to order the 'ultimate' current gen when the new iPad gets released.

    ----------

    At bare minimum, the rMBP would have Iris Pro, which is faster than what the AIR has (5000) anyways.
     
  6. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    #6
    Based on the fact that you bought such an expensive device, I guess you want to use it for at least a few years. So it needs to be as future proof as possible. One of the small things that doesn't get much attention is the fact that the next rMBP will probably have Wifi ac, which is really a great thing to have for the future (might not be the case for you though). The battery life will probably be better (at least 3 hours more on a charge then the current rMBP, probably). Integrated GPU will also be better then the current HD4000 for sure (how much depends on if it's going to be a Iris Pro 5200 only (much better) or something like a HD4400 (slightly better) + NVIDIA 750M).

    Then there could be surprises like Thunderbolt 2, IGZO display.

    If I was in your place, I'd return it and wait. But that's just me.
     
  7. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #7
    Probably, maybe, perhaps....
    OP, call your Apple store and see if they'll let you return, at no charge, should a new model be released within 30 days. If so, keep your current unit. All these speculations and suppositions are being pulled out of thin air based on technologies that have been announced, but not even close to being ready for a particular product.
     
  8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #8
    If you are at all interested in keeping it for a few years, return it. The new ones will see a battery jump of at least 2-3 hours.
     
  9. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #9
    Prove it!:D
     
  10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #10
    Did you paid full retail? For me the answer depends on what deal you got on it. I have seen people here posting that have sold max out 2013 rMBP (2.8/16/768) for around $2200 so an used one may also be a better deal if you paid full retail.
     
  11. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #11
    Where have you seen that? That's a $1,000 savings.
     
  12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #12
    Some posts here had said such prices. I sold my 2012 2.7/16/768 rMBP around 1 month ago with Applecare and Apple Mouse & keyboard for $2400 in Ebay:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331009011087?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

    So if you don't mind buying used that is a cheaper option
     
  13. StockDC2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    #13
    There's plenty on my local Craigslist for that price, some of which are still sealed in the box.
     
  14. ZipZap macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #14
    Not the maxed out model.
     
  15. sarakn macrumors 6502a

    sarakn

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2013
    #15
    Those Buying rMBP today...why not wait?

    I know this does not apply to most - as in, those who need something right away - but for those who don't care what Haswell offers and can afford to wait, why not wait and get a better deal on the same system you would have purchased anyway?

    When Haswell is released, prices of the current rMBPs will be slashed by a few hundred dollars. Why not wait to get one then?

    I was thinking of possibly getting Haswell and an older/refurb unit, but decided to wait for the refurb unit as the price will only be lower.
     
  16. fskywalker macrumors 65816

    fskywalker

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #16
    Some people called the 2.8 ghz / 16gb RAM the max out model regardless of SSD size, but technically you are right since the 2013 max out model is 2.8/16/768
     
  17. Xerotech macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    #17
    I would've waited until the Mac Pro was announced. This would be the time when the macbook can possibly be refreshed. If there was no update/refresh/launch, I'd go ahead and buy the current gen macbook.
    When it comes to performance, I don't see much of an increase. It's always bumps year over year. Hell, there's already a waiting for broadwell thread.

    If you are happy with the current macbook, keep it. ;)
     
  18. RatHat macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #18
    Exactly.

    I always buy a maxed out system, then I know I have the best possible that will last several years, maybe more. If you had bought low end, then you would chase the improvements. At high end, it should be good for quite some time before you need to upgrade again.
     
  19. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #19
    Well the battery life will improve significantly with Haswell, so if that's important, I would wait for an update. CPU performance will be about the same. Integrated GPU performance will be slightly better, whereas dedicated GPU performance should improve more (however both won't be much of an issue if you're doing regular stuff [including PS]).

    Personally I would wait for battery life alone, but seeing you already made the purchase, I see no reason to return it unless it's released in a week.
     

Share This Page