Bought MBP and switched to MBA (or vice versa)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Akvavit, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Akvavit macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2011
    So - my first post here on the site, better make it a good one!

Alright pressure gone, and on to it! I am new to all these Apple products, and the entire way of living with the pros/cons of the stuff they make. I have been rocking my iPod 120 GB for about 1 1/2 year now, and just jumped on the iPad wagon - i love it all - beside iTunes - guess i'll learn to live/love that eventually.

I got a gamin desktop, and am not looking to replace that. But i would like something between my iPad and the desktop. And in that segment there is the MBP and the MBA.

What i need is something that can handle all non-gaming things (mail, web, light non-raw photo editing, maybe light movie editing too - etc.) I think both system are capable of this - but i am in doubt which i would like best in the long run.

I need to drag it around with me on travels several times a year - so i have my eyes on the 13" of both of them - since both would be okay weight wise. If i end up with a MBP i will install SSD myself - so i will end up with SSD in both options.

But i was wondering, if any of you bought either a MBP or MBA, and ended up switching to the other type? And especially what made you do that? Any suggestions to which to choose, would also be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance
  2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Mar 11, 2008
    It really depends on what you are looking for. Either can handle those tasks. The 13" MBA would be my pick since it has a higher resolution screen (1440x900 versus 1280x800) than the 13" MBP. If the MBP had a higher resolution screen I would pick that.

For me the speed and screen size of the 15" made me go with it. But it really depends on what you want to do with it and how much importance you give to weight versus screen size versus speed for other tasks.
  3. Akvavit thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks for your input bcaslis!

I have been reading a bit around here, and other places on the WWW - and it seems like more or less all of the models have some pros/cons - maybe some can give some input to these concerns?

MBA 13": Impossible to upgrade down the line - but the mobility is so great! I guess some sandy bridge models will be found in the next model...?

MBP 13": As i understand the 13" i5 is a bit of an oddball, and it is running quite hot. The i7 seems like the only option for the 13" - and then put in an SSD, and move the HDD over in the optical bay. But i am a bit concerned about the Intel HD Graphics 3000 - if i want to try some light video editing down the line?

MBP 15": I am a bit concerned about the mobility of this size laptop - but the 1799€ model seems to hit the sweet spot performance wise, since it's won't be used for gaming. Again input SSD myself, and move HHD to optical bay.

All those problems!

Also if anyone regretted their purchase of the MBP or MBA, and plan to/have switched to the other type laptop, i would like to hear some why's.
  4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2010
    The MBA is a good option for you, it will do everything you need it to do.