Bought MBP in Early February

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heatfanaman, Mar 1, 2011.

1. heatfanaman macrumors member

I received it as a birthday present in the first week of february. On February 24th the new MBPs came out. I know their policy is 14 days, but do you think they'd let me return it if I used my persuasive skills(begging) :p ?

2. heatfanaman thread starter macrumors member

3. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Wont know until you try, some people have been successful past 14 days.

Apple is a very customer friendly company, and does go above and beyond in many cases. Technically they do not have to do it, but if I were to have to wager yes or no. I think your chances are pretty good.

4. Davichi macrumors 6502

Good luck with that...

14 days is really 14 days. It's entirely up to the store manager. There is no guide line for this. You are saying you would beg. Unfortunately, no one knows until you try.

5. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

I don't think so. But you'll undoubtedly get plenty of encouragement here to at least try because others have thrown tantrums and succeeded.

Really though... what's changed about your current macbook over the last 30 days? Did it get slower? Will it no longer boot? Does iPhoto not import your photos any more?

6. heatfanaman thread starter macrumors member

Well, they released an updated version... I have a 15' inch 2010 MBP and was hoping to get a refund and buy a 13' inch 2011 MBP, but if I can't get a refund I'd atleast like to exchange mine for the 2011 model.

7. Davichi macrumors 6502

The problem is... that you used your MBP.

So, you used an item. As soon as you open them, it's used.

Your laptop has no issues what so ever.

One person went to apple store and asked an associate to exchange his MBP for the new released model. He even told apple that he will pay restocking fee for it.

Eventually, store manager was nice enough to exchange.

Better hope, you have a nice manager.

8. heatfanaman thread starter macrumors member

How much is the restocking fee? and does it make a difference if I bought the Applecare warranty?

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

If you bought AppleCare, you will have to transfer the warranty on it by calling the 1-800 number on your AppleCare box or whatnot..but you will need to call and see if they will let you even transfer it.

10. Hobbescodger macrumors newbie

My wife and I just bought MBP's in late January and early February. My wife is new to mac and I have not touched one in ten years, but we decided to make the switch. I did not come across the information about proposed refresh until about 2 weeks after we bought our MBP's. This was after our 14 days to return with no questions asked.

There was nothing wrong with our computers, but I was little irritated to learn had we waited we would have the latest update on the computers. Which would be great as we will not update our computer for at least 5 years. Had we purchased our computers more than 30 days before the release I would have been fine with it, but under a month was bothering me.

I called the Apple store the day of release and explained how we were just over our 14 days, about 3 weeks for me, and would like to know if they would exchange our MBP's for the new ones. The Apple store asked if we still had our original packaging, which we did, and they exchanged our MBP's for the new models without any hassle!

11. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if i recall apple removed the restocking fee - it used to be 10%

12. heatfanaman thread starter macrumors member

I bought mine on Feb. 8 and have the original packaging and receipt. I heard something about a 30 day return people for the refresh, any truth to this?

13. Hobbescodger macrumors newbie

I don't really think you will have to much problem with an exchange as long as you have the original packaging and receipt. Chances are they will make more money off the exchange as you will have to pay out the difference, and they get to sell your old machine as a refurb to boot. If you go for the 13 inch and they owe you a refund they will probably give that difference back to you in a gift card instead of cash. Either way they are making money.

14. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

Apple's policy is 30 days if a product has a substantial update, assuming that you have ALL of the original packaging.

15. CosmicBlend macrumors newbie

I received my 2010 MacBook Pro on Feb 1st and called Apple the day the 2011 was released and asked for a return. Mine was a CTO build and they agreed to process a return. The rep did have to get approval from a supervisor but if you are nice they may do it for you.

Hope this helps

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It sounds like a lot of people had luck with doing so, so it doesn't hurt to try. Best of luck with it.

17. heatfanaman thread starter macrumors member

This news is encouraging. I did a chat with Apple Support and at first they said it was 14 days and after that, you're screwed. I responded pretty much like "Really? It was two days past the warranty" (I'm generally very nice when talking to support people) . She then said that I should talk to my store and that their policy may vary from store to store. I'll call tomorrow, and I'll see what they say. Also, are you guys sure about the 30 day thing? When I asked on chat they had no knowledge of 30 day return policy for updates.

18. Hobbescodger macrumors newbie

Apple has 8% of a market that is dominated by Microsoft Windows and the various makers of various PC's. As long as you are courteous, have your receipt & packaging, and are within an acceptable time frame of the update they will do an exchange at an Apple Store. They pride themselves on customer service, and there is really no downside to allowing you to exchange that machine. It is 3 weeks old. They will make money off you from the difference in price for the new model...sell your 2010 as refurb....or they will sell your 2010 as refurb....give you a refund on the 15 for the 13 and issue a gift card with the remainder of the balance which you can only spend on Apple products. They make $$$$ and gain a satisfied customer who will gladly drink the Apple Kool-Aid.