Bought MBP last week, can I get iLife '09?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miamialley, Jan 6, 2009.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I bought my MBP (my first Mac) on 12.29.08. Is there a window that will allow me to upgrade to iLife '09 at no cost?

2. dylanmac macrumors newbie

dylanmac

I don't believe so. I could be wrong though. $99 on Apples' site.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Some people have had luck with the Apple customer service, but only after hours on the phone moaning to them.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I don't get it. You want them to give you something for free, for no reason?

5. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Oh my god, here we go.

I am wondering if they have a policy when you buy a product and a new version is released within X amount of time if you may upgrade at no cost. Many companies do this for various products. It is not in anyway an unreasonable question...geez.

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you buy a product less than 14 days before a new one is announced, apple will usually just give you the new product. So, if the new MBPs come with iLife 09 pre-installed, he might be able to get it for essentially free.

7. dylanmac macrumors newbie

dylanmac

It's a very reasonable question. I just bought my new MBP a few weeks ago. I don't think asking for the latest native software with a $2500 piece of hardware is so hard to ask for.

8. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I completely agree. I bought mine a few weeks ago as well. At least i should be able to get ilife 09 at our student store for $39 but should be free for recent purchases.

9. dylanmac macrumors newbie

dylanmac

The perks of being a college student :)

I purchased Leopard for my PowerBook last year for $40.

10. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'll call my local Apple store tomorrow. I bought it from Best Buy, but that shouldn't matter, correct?

11. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

They do have a strict time frame of 14 days. And thats only for iPods and computers. You probably won't just be able to walk into an apple store and ask for a free copy of iLife. You'll probably have to call customer relations (I don't know the number).

12. dylanmac macrumors newbie

dylanmac

Good question. But I personally don't see this posing a problem when talking with Apple support.

13. six.four macrumors 6502

it actually does make a difference.

Apple has been known to only offer their 14 day exchange service for products purchase directly at their retail store. But of course, it doesn't hurt to try anyways, but there is a difference.

Also... I'm sure we'll all assuming you purchased the new MBP and not a previous gen MBP that was on clearance.

14. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Mine is a late '08 MBP. If I thought there'd be a new iLife I would have waited a week to buy. I didn't know they'd come out with one so soon.

15. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Yeah sorry man, I'm just so used to people bitching about stuff like this, holding Apple to a higher standard for some reason.

You'd be surprised how many people come here and flip out because they bought a machine, then Apple updated software or even hardware within a short time and they feel like they're owed something.

16. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

No problem. I've seen those posts also.