Bought MBP with ML--how to get ML installer on USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Idefix, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Idefix macrumors 6502

I bought a MBP with Mountain Lion. I've been trying to generate a USB 3.0 thumb drive with the ML installer on it, for future reinstalls.

The App Store gives me access to the new iPhoto etc, but not to ML, so I can't download the ML installer. Since I bought the MBP with ML, I don't see why I would need to buy ML all over again. All I want is physical media in case of a reinstall, which has happened many times with previous laptops.

Any tips?

I'm presently using the Recovery Disk to reinstall ML on 16GB USB 3.0 thumb drive, and it's telling me 3.75 hours. Plus in the end, I won't have a ML install disk, so what's the point?

2. bowlman23 macrumors regular

I used this program for creating a boot disk for Lion and it seems like the upgraded so it'll work with ML. I used an SD card.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39701/lion-diskmaker

3. Idefix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, I had already checked that out--unfortunately, it looks for the Installer Disk image, which of course I don't have since there's not media or disk image with the MBP.

The main question is, why should I have to buy the ML installer, when I bought the MBP with ML already on it?

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Macs have internet restore - which is great unless you have slow internet...

5. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Restart and hold down Alt(Option) go into the Internet Restore, download a copy of Mountain Lion but do not install. WHen you restart you should see it in your application folder and can make a usb with the link above.

Not 100% sure if this will work but try it

6. Idefix thread starter macrumors 6502

Also tried the above. Not what I need.

Internet restore is currently 2 hours into the 3.75 hour restore onto a 16GB usb 3.0 thumb drive. What I'll have at the end is a bootable USB thumb drive with ML on it, but I won't have the ML installer.

I really want to somehow get the installer itself, so that I can avoid the same 3.75 hour download every time I may need to do a clean install.

Come on: a whole bunch of folks have just bought new rMBPs--they're in the same boat as me, namely no install media in case they have to reinstall.

Sorry, but waiting 3.75 hours when you've just bought an MBP seems totally insulting...especially when you still won't have an installer.

7. scott.n macrumors 6502

8. Idefix thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly!

And I'm posting this from my old MBP on Snow Leopard, because of the 3.75 hour process. It actually finished, then had to start up from the usb drive to finish installing ML, though the grey Recovery screen was still on, whereupon it took 20 minutes to install ML, then the standard first-time OS dialogue.

The result is a 16 GB thumb drive with 4.42 GB free.

Still no installer.

Way too long for a clean system install. I want a usb ML installer!

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

when i got my new rMBP i was irritated as well because i expected ML to be linked to my apple id under "purchases" just like iPhoto etc. but apparently thats not the case. i cant even purchase it to get the installer even if i wanted to because the mac store claims my rmbp isnt supported.

i'm guessing the only way to accomplish a restore is to either use a time machine backup from an external drive or the internet restore ...

10. Idefix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, we're in the same boat, although mine's a cMBP. So you even tried to buy it so as to get the installer? Surely Apple should have a downloadable Mountain Lion installer for the rMBP by now?

In the App Store, I've got iPhoto, Garageband, and iMovie under "Purchases" but no Mountain Lion.

So I can download those if I want to, but I can't download Mountain Lion.

11. eeclipse16 macrumors member

12. scott.n macrumors 6502

Good grief. How many times does the OP have to say that he does not have the Mountain Lion installer from the App Store before people stop posting "solutions" that require it? (And especially solutions that encourage software piracy and refer to OS "Ex" like the last video.)

The lack of restore disks for computers shipping with Lion and Mountain Lion is a major pain. Not just for the OP's problem, but even more so (in my opinion) with the iLife apps. With those being tied to an Apple ID, I don't think there's any way to get them onto a clean install if you want to sell your Mac.

(Apple's policies are somewhat inconsistent, too. I received a redemption code for Mountain Lion via the Up-to-Date Program. Now Mountain Lion shows up in my App Store purchases and can be installed on my other Macs, exactly as if I'd paid for it.)

13. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Taken from here...

Notes
    1. Go to the link for pictures.
    2. I just did a copy-and-paste, wrapped it inside some quote tags, and didn't bother to check to see if it looks messed up with a preview. If it looks messed up, go to the link for a neater version.
    3. You may need to do things slightly different with OS X Mountain Lion, but the gist of the procedure should be the same.

14. minifridge1138, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I think you need this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

It doesn't use a downloaded ML image, it uses the image in the recovery partition.
    (Although I'm not sure if it will still need to download anything...)

15. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you registered your mac, you can download the ML installer from the App store.

Download, show package contents, locate the install.esd file and write that to a USB stick with disk utility or one of the available boot media apps.

You will need to d/l the installer, no way around it.

16. Idefix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a whole bunch! This is just what I needed!

I'll try it out asap and report back! Alternatively, everybody else in this thread can also try it out...

17. chrfr macrumors 603

Nope, that process is exactly the same for 10.8.x. Such a hassle.

18. Idefix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, a real hassle, all so that Apple can control more of its users.

Still trying to find the energy to try the very long procedure...

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

nope you cant. it shows "buy" and even if u click on it, itll claim your mac isnt supported

20. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I feel bad for ya OP, it's going over everyones head. I get it though, same issue I had. Internet restore is a bit slow.

I ended up using Time Machine, so I have a 'restore' anyway, but why not just install ML onto the thumb drive?

Reason I say that, is if you need to restore you can just open up recovery (alt option), and then open up disk utility from the file menu, and you should be able to copy the contents of the 16GB thumb drive over to a new or newly formatted hard drive. In fact it might actually be faster than an installer.

Just a thought. Haven't tested it though, but it's got my curious so I may do that here in a bit; install ML onto a 16GB thumb drive, then try and copy the files to my 500GB external and see if we boot!

Although, the solution posted above sounds even better, I may need to try that. Local microcenter sells 16GB USB 3.0 thumb drives for like 12 bucks, I've got like 6 of them..

21. sparkyms macrumors 65816

srsly, use this.. it makes a bootable USB drive.

22. chrfr macrumors 603

But it still requires an internet connection to download the OS when you want to restore.

23. el-John-o macrumors 65816

+1. The OP's mac, and any retina MBP, can download it from the internet anyway, it's built right in. But that's slow, and having a thumb drive where you are ready to just stick it in and install is much nicer.

24. Radiating macrumors 65816

Has anyone figured out a good solution to this? It's a huge pain to spend 3 hours installing the OS each time