Bought my first Apple device (iPhone 4S)!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by divergirl, Dec 18, 2013.

1. divergirl, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

divergirl macrumors regular

Just bit the bullet and bought my first Apple Device. It's a used iPhone 4S that I bought on Swappa. It was shipped via USPS Priority Mail so it might not be here till after Christmas, but I'm quite excited nonetheless. I'm finally officially joining the Apple family! :D I know it's kind of old, but I'm coming from an LG Optimus S, which has terrible specs in comparison to the 4S, so I'm sure it'll seem super duper new to me.

I bought a brand-new pink Otterbox 4/4S Commuter case for $15 a week-and-a-half ago when Otterbox had a one-day 50%-off sale on their cases and a 10% discount on your entire order, so I will put it on the phone as soon as it gets here.

By the way, were white iPhone 4S's really that much more popular? On Swappa around 2/3 of the listings have consistently been for the white iPhone 4S and only 1/3 for the black.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 4s is a little older but it's still a great phone. I sold mine a few months ago, but my wife still has hers.

I think the white models were pretty popular, but if I had to guess I'd say the colors were probably split 50/50.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Welcome to the family!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not a big fan of the 4s, or cases, particularly Otterboxes. However, the 4s is a solid iPhone and my hangups are my own.

Welcome to the iPhone! The 4s is a great iPhone and it was a game changer when it was introduced. It will be an excellent device to get you acclimated to the Apple way of doing things.

5. garysauctions macrumors member

Otterbox - hands down offers the best protection.

I'm still using the iPhone 4, so your iPhone is newer than mine.

One of my iPhone 4's has been in an Otterbox since the first day I have owned it.

In fact my hands have never touched ( until this week ) that iPhone 4 as the store clerk put it in the case when it was purchased.

I took the phone out of the Otterbox and had it unlocked in preparation for sale.

It's looks like a BRAND NEW iPhone, thanks to the Otterbox case.

Whoever gets it will think it is brand new as it will have the original box and all the original (never used ) accessories in the box.

I'll never use any other case .... Otterbox all the way!

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Enjoy your iPhone. My daughter has an Otterbox case for her iPhone and loves it. I swear a tank could run over it and not damage it.

7. Knockworstface macrumors regular

Knockworstface

^ This. :D

8. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Congratulation. The 4s is still a great phone and will only get better when i7.1 comes to it. You'll also love the app selection that comes with iOS.

9. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

So I just got the iPhone 4S from swappa about a week ago. I have had lots of iPhones before, and even had the iPhone 5, but sold it to get the iPad rmini. I am a huge tech guy, but I guess I would lean more to android for phones than iOS devices. I have the Nexus 5 too which is one of the smoothest phones I have ever used. My question is will iOS 7.1 fix some of the shutter and lag I am experiencing on my iPhone 4S? I feel like it should be much smoother than it is. Seeing that Apple is still selling the iPhone 4S, iPad mini, iPad 2, and all the iPod touch with the A5 processor. Seems they would run smooth if Apple is still selling them.

10. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Trust me it should. 7.2 beta 2 has been amazing. Animations are back to normal speed like iOS 6. Everything feels smoother. I have a 5s but Im sure it should improve on the 4s also. They did great with 7.1. Fixes a lot of any stuttering. You can try posting a thread in ios7 and see what peoples experience with the 4s is on this beta but I also heard nothing but good.

11. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Welcome to the Apple world. You will enjoy the iPhone and never buy another phone besides it. Enjoy.

12. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Awesome. I am so ready to get back to the iOS I know and love. I did not use my iPhone 5 with iOS 7 very long before I sold it, so I am not really sure how it handled it. I also am using the iPad rmini and it is only slightly faster than my 4S which leads me to believe my 4S will get better. Thanks for the help. I might start a post on the iOS section, and see if I can get some more info.

13. MicroByte macrumors 6502

Funny, I just bought a white 4S from one of my coworkers 2 days ago. She had "upgraded" to an Android device so I got her 4S for $100. Great deal for me since I love having a decent camera at all times and it's fast with iOS 7.

I haven't owned anything since the iPod Touch 4G so it's been great so far. I always loved the iPhone 4/4S design and look and really love the white color so this was perfect.

Enjoy!

14. sammy-boy macrumors regular

While not my first iDevice my first iPhone was - and still is - an iPhone 4S. Also a recent convert having only got it a couple of months ago. Love it too! Enjoy your iPhone :)

15. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Welcome to Apple,
    The 4s may be a. Few years old now but it is a quality phone that many of us here at Mac Rumors have had or started out with, good luck.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

17. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I like these kind of posts, enjoy your the new phone :)

18. Iphoneuserrr macrumors newbie

The iPhone 4S is still a fantastic phone, it may be a couple of years old but it's still a solid phone and should last a few more years yet!

19. cynics macrumors G4

Congrats.

I'm still using an iPhone 4S that's a little over two years old now with no hardware issues at all.

I can tell it's a little dated compared to newer iPhones in terms of speed but it still does everything the new phones do albeit slower (minus slow motion video and air drop).

If you're not a power user you'll be happy with it. What phone were you using?

20. Old Yeller, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

Old Yeller macrumors newbie

Old Yeller

I was just at the Apple store today really wanting to feel justified to upgrade from my 4S to the new 5S or even 5C but just wasn't that impressed. Yes, the new phones are nice but I still like the weight and screen size better on the 4S. The new phones don't do anything I need that my 4S already does pretty darn well. I think I'll hold off and see what the iphone 6 has to offer. Hope you have the same experience as I have.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I have an iPhone 4 and its white because I do like it better. But apple is offering the iPhone 4s for free with a two year contract I think next time you should do that. The specs in it aren't that bad and it will run iOS 7 fine and most games will work great. Enjoy I hope it comes in soon.:)

22. divergirl, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

We'll clearly just to prove me wrong it's like half and half on Swappa now. *facepalm* :p

Thank you! I'm so excited! My iPhone actually came last night so I've been playing with it since then. :)

I hope so! I'm trying to be more careful but the truth is I'm a total klutz! I'd be way too paranoid to go without a case!

I'm enjoying it so far! Everything seems faster than my old phone exCEPT... Safari oddly enough. I used Opera Mobile on my old phone and it was blazing fast despite the phone's age. Safari takes a long time to load a website even if I'm on wifi and only have one tab open. *shrugs* It's a mystery. :p

I had an LG Optimus S. Compared to that phone the 4S is a technological wonder!!! The Optimus S has a 3.2 inch screen, a 600 MHz single core processor, and less than 200 MB of internal memory. Even after rooting the phone and putting almost everything on the SD card I was still constantly running into space issues!

I checked everything on the phone I could think of, like looking for scratches, water damage, dead pixels, testing the microphone, speakers, etc. etc. and the phone seems to be in good working order, but it does have AppleCare+ until April 1st 2014, so I suppose if any issues arise within the next few months I can take it in. I'm actually planning to go to Apple once all the post-holiday madness quiets down (I wonder how long I should wait??) because the one thing that is NOT in good condition is the charging cable! I think the previous owner detached the cable from the phone by yanking on the cord instead of the ends themselves, because the cord is torn and the bare wire is exposed on each end! :eek: I'm thinking of going to Apple and explaining that I bought the phone used and the cord came like this and seeing if there is anything that can be done since the phone is under AppleCare+. I suppose the worst they can say is no! I'm just worried about it being a fire hazard or something with that bare wire showing!!! It seems to charge fine but still... xD

I think the battery degradation is normal as well. It's been charged 283 times over the past 20 months and has 87% capacity, at least according to iBackupBot:
    CycleCount: 283
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1243

I might have it checked just in case when I go in to have the cable looked at, since I know iBackupBot isn't always accurate. It seems like the battery is mainly the only thing that usually starts to get bad on a phone and needs to be replaced, so long as the phone is treated kindly.

23. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

While I was hanging onto my outdated DroidX, my 13yr old daughter acquired a relative's iPhone 4s when they upgraded to the 5. I got to play around with her 4s and found myself strangely jealous of it. It was at that moment that I knew I was going to switch from Android to Apple with my next phone. Now I'm a proud owner of the 5s.