Bought My First External Drive For Backups. Won't Work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bali Cockfight, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Bali Cockfight macrumors regular

I just bought a 320 GB i/o Magic hard drive and it won't let me transfer data over. Is there something I am doing wrong or did I miss doing something to prepare the drive for transfer data. Thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Open Disk Utility, select the drive, click Erase, and reformat as a Mac format :)

3. Bali Cockfight thread starter macrumors regular

Dude, you rock!

4. I3eXa macrumors 6502

maybe someone could answer my question then. I have a ext. HD and i have tried reformatting it and even putting a few windows files on it, but my mac won't see it. Under Sys. Preferences it sees the usb mass storage device but it's not under disk utility and i'm stuck :(

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

What format did you use for the ext. drive .. HFS+ .. Intel Mac needs GUID format to make the ext drive bootable ..

6. I3eXa macrumors 6502

no i think its ntfs, but when i tried to see my options under format on my windows laptop that's the only option it would give me...can I convert it with partition magic or something??

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Microsoft refuses to release the specs to NTFS, so preventing OSX from working properly with it.

If you need to use the external HD with both windows and osx, reformat it as FAT16 or FAT32 (better).

You can reformat it with your mac in one of these formats, and your windows laptop will work with it.