Bought my first Mac :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KeyMs92, Nov 28, 2015.

1. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

So after a month of deliberation and many posts on this forum I finally went ahead and bought the 4K iMac.

I was going back and forth between the 4K and 5K iMac, and 13" rMBP. If I had bought the 13" rMBP, it would have been my only computer. But in the end I figured that it would be too much of a compromise for me. I'd rather have a fully featured all-in-one desktop and minimal lightweight laptop (rMB 2 perhaps?).

The 5K iMac was only about one thing for me: gaming. But would I be willing to pay all that extra money on a machine that in the end runs a laptop-class graphics card? Would I be willing to put up with Windows, to run a game like Skyrim? Would I be willing to buy a second external hard drive in order to go pure SSD for a OS X/Windows dual boot? Do I care that much about gaming? Not really.

So the 4K seems like the right choice for me. I can't wait to see how those 4K videos look on YouTube and, of course, how OS X is to work with.

Here is the configuration that I went with:

21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display
    • 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 8GB 1867MHz LPDDR3
    • 2TB Fusion Drive
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200
    • Magic Trackpad 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats, and basically that's the bottom line, you find what works for you. Enjoy your iMac. :)

3. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

4. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

5. twilexia macrumors 6502

I think the 2TB fusion drive is a solid choice for your needs. You're going to have a great time with that machine, congrats!