Bought my G4 Cube :D

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Liquinn, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Hi MacRumors, I've just bought a G4 Cube.

Long live PPC. :):apple:

2. MochaBook macrumors newbie

I think you're mistaking a forum for twitter. Do you use twitter like a forum then?

3. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I hardly use Twitter... I'm just saying to everyone here that I bought a G4 Cube. :) :apple:

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Ignore the naysayers and enjoy your new Cube.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Sweet! I love my Cubes too. What are your plans for the little guy? Going to leave it stock? Some small upgrades, or go all out and make a super Cube?

6. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Just to be apart of my Mac collection... but another guy on my other thread said this:

"Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Did it come with the extra RAM or was that an after market mod the original owner did? Because to have that much RAM and such a small hard drive would suggest to me the owner added the RAM later on his/her own.

Which would probably explain the damaged product. With that level of damage it's not worth £75."

:(

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The damage done around the Apple logo does cannot be explained by a RAM upgrade. Upgrading the RAM in a G4 Cube is very easy and not really considered a "mod" as it is an Apple supported upgrade. The most they ever came with was 128MB from the factory with the most being 64MB. You can see what yours originally came with by looking at the serial number sticker on the bottom near the video card.

8. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Did you see the two photos of the G4 Cube? Shall I cancel the order?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've seen the two photos. If you can live with the strangeness around the Apple logo, you should get it. The maxed RAM is a nice incentive. The marks around the Apple logo could just be the adhesive bleeding out, but I've never heard of that happening. Is there a return policy?

10. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

You're saying it's a good deal, yet someone else in the other thread said this:

"Personally I'd want something that didn't have such cosmetic damage. Part of the Cube's charm was its looks."

I'm stuck on what to do here ;P :p And I don't think there is :(

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What is the return policy? If you get it, discover that the damage is easily repaired you can keep it. But if the damage are a series of deep scratches, you could return it. You could always tear it down and sell its parts on eBay. A parted out Cube is worth a bit more than a whole one, sometimes.

12. Liquinn, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Too much hassle for me to do I guess :p I'm not sure what the return policy, I guess if it has cosmetic damage then it's not worth buying :(

Would you buy the G4 Cube if it has cosmetic problems? :p

13. mike457 macrumors 6502

I probably would. I'm a big fan of the Cube: it was my first Mac. Most Cubes nowadays are going to have some cosmetic issues, given their age. In North America on eBay, the typical selling price for one in good condition, more or less stock (possible hard drive upgrade, RAM upgrade) is in the $200-300 range. At $116, you've got a good deal. I read through your posts quickly; I may have missed this, but I assume it is working and comes with the power supply. I can't make out what has caused that odd mark around the Apple logo. On my own, the blue of the logo has faded somewhat. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I would think it can probably be fixed.

14. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Where are you based? So I should go for it right? £75 including p+p next day for the Cube I may buy from scrumpymacs :p

Yeah it's fully working :p So it's a good deal then? And true, they're 12 years old now. :p

15. mike457 macrumors 6502

I'm in Canada. I would say it's a good deal, and the cosmetic issue (from the photo) looks minor. The actual case, apart from the area around the logo, looks pretty good. I bought one last year and paid $200 for it. I don't use it much, but I did buy it more sentimental/collector reasons than anything else.

16. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Liquinn,
    This and your other Cube post are rather confusing. You seem to be desparately searching for opinions and validation. Yet, the first time someone offers a dissenting opinion, you immediately become paranoid and/or start rationalizing.

I loved my Cube and if you want one, get one. It is an old computer. The best part of it was, in my opinion, the aesthetics. If it is not in top cosmetic shape, I would not buy it, Period. 50 pounds, 100 pounds, 150 pounds ... doesn't matter. Why buy a Cube only to hide it?

I recommed you either wait for a pristine Cube, or buy whatever you want ... but then quit soliciting opinions.

Just my two cents worth.

17. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

Hmmm... I see. It's a 12 year old machine though; so it's bound to have a few cosmetic problems XD