Bought my G4 Cube :D

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Sweet! I love my Cubes too. What are your plans for the little guy? Going to leave it stock? Some small upgrades, or go all out and make a super Cube?

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Sweet! I love my Cubes too. What are your plans for the little guy? Going to leave it stock? Some small upgrades, or go all out and make a super Cube?
Just to be apart of my Mac collection... but another guy on my other thread said this:

"Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Did it come with the extra RAM or was that an after market mod the original owner did? Because to have that much RAM and such a small hard drive would suggest to me the owner added the RAM later on his/her own.

Which would probably explain the damaged product. With that level of damage it's not worth £75."

:(

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Just to be apart of my Mac collection... but another guy on my other thread said this:

"Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Did it come with the extra RAM or was that an after market mod the original owner did? Because to have that much RAM and such a small hard drive would suggest to me the owner added the RAM later on his/her own.

Which would probably explain the damaged product. With that level of damage it's not worth £75."

:(
The damage done around the Apple logo does cannot be explained by a RAM upgrade. Upgrading the RAM in a G4 Cube is very easy and not really considered a "mod" as it is an Apple supported upgrade. The most they ever came with was 128MB from the factory with the most being 64MB. You can see what yours originally came with by looking at the serial number sticker on the bottom near the video card.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
The damage done around the Apple logo does cannot be explained by a RAM upgrade. Upgrading the RAM in a G4 Cube is very easy and not really considered a "mod" as it is an Apple supported upgrade. The most they ever came with was 128MB from the factory with the most being 64MB. You can see what yours originally came with by looking at the serial number sticker on the bottom near the video card.
Did you see the two photos of the G4 Cube? Shall I cancel the order?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Did you see the two photos of the G4 Cube? Shall I cancel the order?
I've seen the two photos. If you can live with the strangeness around the Apple logo, you should get it. The maxed RAM is a nice incentive. The marks around the Apple logo could just be the adhesive bleeding out, but I've never heard of that happening. Is there a return policy?

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I've seen the two photos. If you can live with the strangeness around the Apple logo, you should get it. The maxed RAM is a nice incentive. The marks around the Apple logo could just be the adhesive bleeding out, but I've never heard of that happening. Is there a return policy?
You're saying it's a good deal, yet someone else in the other thread said this:

"Personally I'd want something that didn't have such cosmetic damage. Part of the Cube's charm was its looks."

I'm stuck on what to do here ;P :p And I don't think there is :(

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What is the return policy? If you get it, discover that the damage is easily repaired you can keep it. But if the damage are a series of deep scratches, you could return it. You could always tear it down and sell its parts on eBay. A parted out Cube is worth a bit more than a whole one, sometimes.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
What is the return policy? If you get it, discover that the damage is easily repaired you can keep it. But if the damage are a series of deep scratches, you could return it. You could always tear it down and sell its parts on eBay. A parted out Cube is worth a bit more than a whole one, sometimes.
Too much hassle for me to do I guess :p I'm not sure what the return policy, I guess if it has cosmetic damage then it's not worth buying :(

Would you buy the G4 Cube if it has cosmetic problems? :p

Last edited:

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
I probably would. I'm a big fan of the Cube: it was my first Mac. Most Cubes nowadays are going to have some cosmetic issues, given their age. In North America on eBay, the typical selling price for one in good condition, more or less stock (possible hard drive upgrade, RAM upgrade) is in the $200-300 range. At $116, you've got a good deal. I read through your posts quickly; I may have missed this, but I assume it is working and comes with the power supply. I can't make out what has caused that odd mark around the Apple logo. On my own, the blue of the logo has faded somewhat. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I would think it can probably be fixed.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I probably would. I'm a big fan of the Cube: it was my first Mac. Most Cubes nowadays are going to have some cosmetic issues, given their age. In North America on eBay, the typical selling price for one in good condition, more or less stock (possible hard drive upgrade, RAM upgrade) is in the $200-300 range. At $116, you've got a good deal. I read through your posts quickly; I may have missed this, but I assume it is working and comes with the power supply. I can't make out what has caused that odd mark around the Apple logo. On my own, the blue of the logo has faded somewhat. It's hard to tell from the photo, but I would think it can probably be fixed.
Where are you based? So I should go for it right? £75 including p+p next day for the Cube I may buy from scrumpymacs :p

Yeah it's fully working :p So it's a good deal then? And true, they're 12 years old now. :p

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
Where are you based? So I should go for it right? £75 including p+p next day for the Cube I may buy from scrumpymacs :p

Yeah it's fully working :p So it's a good deal then? And true, they're 12 years old now. :p
I'm in Canada. I would say it's a good deal, and the cosmetic issue (from the photo) looks minor. The actual case, apart from the area around the logo, looks pretty good. I bought one last year and paid $200 for it. I don't use it much, but I did buy it more sentimental/collector reasons than anything else.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Liquinn,
This and your other Cube post are rather confusing. You seem to be desparately searching for opinions and validation. Yet, the first time someone offers a dissenting opinion, you immediately become paranoid and/or start rationalizing.

I loved my Cube and if you want one, get one. It is an old computer. The best part of it was, in my opinion, the aesthetics. If it is not in top cosmetic shape, I would not buy it, Period. 50 pounds, 100 pounds, 150 pounds ... doesn't matter. Why buy a Cube only to hide it?

I recommed you either wait for a pristine Cube, or buy whatever you want ... but then quit soliciting opinions.

Just my two cents worth.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Liquinn,
This and your other Cube post are rather confusing. You seem to be desparately searching for opinions and validation. Yet, the first time someone offers a dissenting opinion, you immediately become paranoid and/or start rationalizing.

I loved my Cube and if you want one, get one. It is an old computer. The best part of it was, in my opinion, the aesthetics. If it is not in top cosmetic shape, I would not buy it, Period. 50 pounds, 100 pounds, 150 pounds ... doesn't matter. Why buy a Cube only to hide it?

I recommed you either wait for a pristine Cube, or buy whatever you want ... but then quit soliciting opinions.

Just my two cents worth.
Hmmm... I see. It's a 12 year old machine though; so it's bound to have a few cosmetic problems XD