Bought my new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by covrc, May 8, 2010.

1. covrc macrumors member

Hi All,

Well, I waited and waited until I could wait no more. I pulled the trigger on a 2009 Mac Pro 2.6 Refurb. $2049 is a sweet deal for this machine.
    I wanted to wait for the update, but in my heart of hearts, I know I cannot afford the extra $500 the new one will cost me. Plus I now need to find a reasonably priced monitor.
    But for the time being, I am very content in my choice. I can't wait to see how different it is from my current G4 1.25 20" iMac. Maybe I will get an upgrade surprise...it's possible.:rolleyes:

Best, covrc

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Congratulations!

And yeah I'm pretty sure it will be much faster than the former machine! :p

3. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

4. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Congrats! Let us know if it shows up with free upgrades.

5. Deepshade macrumors regular

summing up all honest thoughts
    conclusion of introspection

6. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

Cool phrase.

So: if anything comes out in 15 days you're covered. If anything comes out in 16+ days you're gonna be sick. But if it comes out in September you're gonna be standing tall.

I need one. I don't need one bad but I do need one. I'm still lining up my money so it's not so painful to wait. However, if you've been waiting for a while then you can only wait so long.

If June comes and goes you should consider taunting us.

7. covrc thread starter macrumors member

Many Thanks and monitor question.

Hi Guys.

Thanks for writing. I am soooo freaking happy! I promise not to taunt if the update is in September and I will not be sick if the update comes out after the 14 day return period. I really can't afford to pay full price for the update if it comes out, but would be very very tempted to do so if it happens. Going from my G4 1.25 to my new Mac pro should be an adequate upgrade :D for the Light Room and Photoshop I will be doing.

If you will indulge me.....Is buying an "open box" Apple Cinema HD Display 23", model M8537ZM/A which has never been used (only to test) for $300 a good deal in both cost and ability to use with my new 2009 MP? Is it compatible? Or are the newer flat panels all that much better now?:confused:

I will eventually buy a higher quality screen and use which ever one I buy now as a tool screen. Thanks for the kind words and any feedback you can offer.

covrc

8. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I upgraded to a 2008 8x2.8 from a G4 1.25 (single processor) about a year ago....best decision I ever made. Ugh, that thing was so slow...

9. covrc thread starter macrumors member

Screen Choice

Hi, What did you choose for a screen?

10. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

A 23" screen gets the job done but it's like putting cheap tires on a Porsche. If you can step up to a 27, you'll be much happier in the long run.

11. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

This Dell U2711 looks like a very good display. I'm thinking of getting it with a new Mac Pro if new ACDs are glossy.

12. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Nonsense...23" and 24" is a perfect size display. And two of those is better than one 27" or 30".

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I've been salivating over one of those myself. Every time I use one of the 27" iMacs and then go back to my 20" monitor at home… well, I can't complain too much, I just built myself a hackintosh (when I could have bought a new monitor, haha).

14. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

Well ok, I'll back up: it always depends on what you're doing. If what you're doing matches with a 23 screen than great.

But then what in the world are you doing with a MP that a 23" is "perfect" for?

15. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

The new 27" displays boast the highest pixel density for that size class, and if you can live with 16:9, they're a superior option to 30" displays. I'm expecting NEC's new displays to be fantastic.

That said, the older 30" ACD is actually probably a good buy for $300, assuming it's in good condition. It may be old, but it's still a decent IPS display with probably the last ever firewire hub build in and a couple USB ports too.

16. covrc thread starter macrumors member

Apple Cinema HD Display 23" Flat Panel ADC M8537

The display I am looking at is the older acrylic one, not the one with the aluminum bezel.

What kind of adapters would I need to get this to work on a 2009 Mac Pro?

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_hd_display.html

>>Formally dubbed, the Apple Cinema HD (High Definition) Display features a 23-inch "letterbox" format (1920x1200) active-matrix LCD display and an integrated two-port USB (1.0) hub in a "crystal clear" enclosure.

As the "HD" in the name implies, this monitor was designed to allow users to "author HDTV content in its native resolution" as well as "view a full 11-inch by 17-inch two-page spread".

This model uses an ADC (Apple Display Connector), which carries analog and digital video signals, USB data, and power in the same cable and requires a Mac with an ADC connection and a video card with 32 MB or more of video memory.<<

17. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

When do the new nec's come out?

18. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

19. NoManIsland macrumors regular

They were good displays in their day, but DO NOT get one to go with a new Mac Pro, as ADC to DVI adapters are very expensive and unreliable (I learned the hard way...). Also, the old displays don't support HDCP, which might shoot you in the foot depending on your media usage.

20. covrc thread starter macrumors member

<$500 Options

Thank You for taking the the time to write back.

So, at what level of Apple display do I jump in at? or which alternatives?

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have the money for the 24" LED Apple display, instead consider the Dell U2711 (essentially the 27" iMac panel, except it's CCFL—therefore does not have yellowing and other issues).

Since you're looking for something less than $500, 24" is the size to consider: the Dell U2410; good alternative to the Apple; same panel, except you get just about all possible input options (analog and digital).

22. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Does the current Apple 30 support HTCP? Silent update? Because my 23" ACD from 5 years ago doesn't. Amazing monitor, still works wonderfully, but it wants to, it cost me $1600!

23. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

And of course this site and others and rumoring the possibility of a new Mac screen. But you all read that too.

24. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Just wondering where you got a refurb for this price? 2149$ is the cheapest I have seen?

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I was thinking this as well.