Bought new 512gb SSD moving up from 128

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by trueredsoxfan58, Jan 6, 2015.

1. trueredsoxfan58 macrumors member

I bought a new 512 ssd for my 2013 MBA (yes i got the PCI-E one). I currently have a bootcamp partition along with yosemite. I was wondering if i could just image the drive in disk utility and put it on the new drive without having to reinstall OSX or windows. I will put the imaged file on another drive as i dont have a way to have both connected ATM.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can do that, although you might have to reinstall a few programs in Windows.

While Disk Utility will work as a cloning tool, I believe Clear Copy Cloner will do a much better job. It will also clone your recovery drive. You don't need to buy the program in order to clone the drive. It is non-proprietary as well.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

You need a tool like Winclone to copy the Windows partition. It's not possible to copy it with Disk Utility but Disk Utility can handle the Mac partition fine.

4. trueredsoxfan58 thread starter macrumors member

Im not going to clone partitions. Im going to image the whole drive. I want to keep the partitions intact apart from resizing them. I have camptune X which lets me resize the windows partition

5. chrfr macrumors 603

You still have to clone the Windows partition separately.

6. charlyham macrumors regular

charlyham

Carbon Copy Cloner and Winclone are the way to go

I just put an Evo 840 500gb ssd in my son's MBP 2011 using those two utilities. Worked like butter. I created the two partitions on the new drive with the disk utility. The first partition was osx journaled and guid and the second was fat. winclone will change the fat to ntfs when it restores the Windows partition.