Bought new DVD drive, can't burn DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by daveysf, Aug 27, 2008.

1. daveysf macrumors newbie

I bought the LG GH22LP20 for $30...installed with no problem in my G5 powermac.

Recognized it immediately

Burned an audio CD from iTunes with no problem

Watched a DVD

but it won't burn DVDs...recognizes DVD media, but when you hit burn, it says there's not enough space on the disk even when there clearly is...

is there anything I can do? Would getting TOAST help?

Thanks

David A

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The reason why Apple's drives are so expensive, is because they have their customised Apple firmware in them, that gives Apple's iSuite permission to burn via it's SuperDrive, iSuite and Disk Utilities

However, when you install a third-party drive (one that's not Apple branded) you'll encounter some minor problems... And they're all software issues, mostly regarding burning. That's why there are third party buring software on the market. they allow third-party drives to work under the OSX environment.

So Yes, if you can burn using iTunes... then it's not a hardware glitch but a software one. It'll mean you'll need to use third party software on your machine, there are a few good shareware utilites and a few great retail solutions. However, there's some good news, you won't encounter so many media incompatibility issues.Also, in the Mac community users normally go for Toast! It's Ui is so friendly...

3. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Is the DVD blank before you try burning to it? (ie. you are putting files onto it, rather than adding files to other existing files already on the disc)-called multi-session burning.

Multi-session burning is not supported on mac's disc utility.

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

5. daveysf thread starter macrumors newbie

shareware

Thanks to all that replied...

I am running 10.5 Leopard
    I am using a blank DVD

can anyone recommend a shareware utility that will give me permission to use this?

I tried dvd2one and the same problem happened...I would gladly buy toast if I could be assured that it would work. Perhaps they have a trial version...but I'd still also like to try shareware...thanks.

david