Bought new iMac today, lion out tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Apple2000, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Apple2000 macrumors member

Well I ordered my refurbished iMac 27 inch 3.1GHz today, but rumor is that lion is out tomorrow. Do you think if I call apple and say i missed the cutoff for having it included with my computer by one day, they will give me it? I know that $30 isn't a big deal, but I have heard iffy reviews of it and i don't know if i want to spend $30 on a OS that isn't all that much of an improvement.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. benthewraith, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

That explains how to do it.

4. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

The Up-to-Date program says "New" macs a lot, refurbished models might not be covered but you can always ask Apple. If you are covered, then you'll get a redemption code

5. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Edit: Dang, everyone beat me to it :p

6. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone, I will call them tomorrow and hope for the best.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No need to "hope for the best." If you bought a new Mac from June 6th until 30 days after tomorrow, you will be able to upgrade to Lion for free.

8. Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

Since your iMac is technically a refurb, its in a bit of a grey area. Whenever Apple sells refurb Macs, they tend to ship them out with the newest version of OS X. I think it might take a little convincing, but I honestly think most employees will give you the option to upgrade in-store without giving you any trouble.

If the rumors are correct, every Apple store will have a local server that you can remotely install OS X from, via the App Store. You can also probably apply for a one-time iTunes credit toward the download of Lion so you can do it at home, I'd imagine.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I bought a refub mini and it came loaded with Leopard on it, AND included a drop in copy.

10. daship macrumors member

I would be surprised it it applies to refurbs. Especially if it wasn't from an authorized seller.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's because leopard was out. Lion is not, yet. Ergo, you're covered under the up to date program as long as the serial number falls within their allowed machines.

12. Apple2000 thread starter macrumors member

I bought it from apples own certified refurbished store.

13. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I was at my local Apple store today and saw several people walking out with MB's and one with an iMac. I kept thinking are these people just totally clueless. Don't they have any idea that Lion is about to come out. Why would anyone buy a new Mac this week.

14. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

I would buy the imac pre-release of lion just to have SL. Lion will be a free upgrade. That way i do own 2 different OSes. Having choices is a good thing. Btw, i did buy an i7 3.4ghz 27in 10 days ago.

15. emt1 macrumors 65816

...because they can upgrade for free...

16. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I bought a new MacBook Pro on the 1st knowing well that Lion would be out in a few weeks. At least now i have a SL disk plus will get Lion free. It's just the OS. Now if I bought a MacBook Air or Mini, then yes I would be a fool.

17. RobTheGob macrumors newbie

With this update - it is a grey area whether the update will be free for refurbs.

My son is buying a refurb 27" iMac soon - I recommended that he wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

Since you've already ordered... If they announce that Lion is available tomorrow morning - I'd call them for clarification. If they resist, I'd remind them that your machine is "in transit" and you could very easily simply refuse to accept the delivery and order another machine (I've heard that this is the source of many refurbs!).

But - this is Apple, so I doubt it will get to that! I'm pretty sure you'll have no issues...

18. RobTheGob macrumors newbie

The up-to-date page now specifically *includes* refurb systems - so you (and anyone else that has purchased since June 6) is good to go!

I think it says you only have 30 days to claim the update...

19. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Yep the up to date program was available for me with Snow Leopard on a refurbished Mac mini.