Bought "new" iphone - but refurb / used

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philip2021, Sep 23, 2008.

1. philip2021 macrumors newbie

Hi -

I just bought a "new" 16gb white iphone from AT&T in downtown Minneapolis. Before I connected it to my computer or entered any personal data (itunes, email, contacts, etc) I tried to download the Pandora app - and then I was prompted for someone's itunes password (a woman's email address was the login).

When I bought the phone, the sales clerk said the wrapper had been broken because they were adding the updated charger to each phone (post recall).

I googled the woman's name and found that she lives/works in the area...So I'm thinking the phone is either a refurb or used.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

Cheers,
    Phil

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Did they activate it in store? If so, it could come from that

3. ilugram macrumors member

Most likely, when they unbricked your phone at the store. She had been logged into the Itunes on that computer before, and that just got transferred over.

4. philip2021 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, they unbricked it at the store (plugged it into a pc).

Do you think I should try to return it?

Thanks.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It may be that she decided that she didn't want it, or had it replaced, they found nothing wrong with it, then decided to sell it.

Just sync with iTunes and restore it to factory settings, and buy your apps through iTunes, or wait until after the restore to buy from the phone.

TEG

6. philip2021 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, activated it in store.

Would you return it?

7. Benjic macrumors regular

If I pay for a "New" phone, I'm getting a new phone. Take it back, and if it happens again, it was an itunes fluke.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Get a NEW iPhone, not something that has the seal broken and a new charger in it. How dare they remove the joy of taking your brand new iPhone out of a sealed box... I agree with someone that posted: The Genius didn't clear the iTunes account on the floater MB/MBP, b/c it happened in front of me when I bought my new iPhone. :eek:

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Activating the phone in store doesn't transfer iTunes account. It only transfers if you sync it to iTunes.

To answer your question, yes it was used.