Bought new MBP i7 battery only lasts 2.5 hours....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LiquidSpikes, Apr 18, 2010.

1. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

Hello everyone :)

I just bought a new MacBook Pro (Core i7 15 inch model)

Anyways... I wanted to check with the other Macbook Pro users to see if they are having battery issues... is 2.5-3 hours usual for just web browsing?

:/ do you think restoring from my backup time capsule caused this?
    should I take it back?

Any tests you would recommend?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you calibrated it correctly?

My sis got a MacBook yesterday and the first charge only laster ~3 hours (it was doing wireless TM backup) but now after calibration it's perfect

3. LiquidSpikes thread starter macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

I am in the process now.... :)

I thank you for the link! :)

I will report back :D

4. derlockere macrumors member

Time Machine can demand a rather large portion of CPU power, not the best application to be running for a battery test.

My Mid 2009 uMBP lasts about 5 hours with backlight full on and about 6:30 when I lower the backlight to 2 dashes. Therefore, the promised 7 hours are not too far of reality.

Cheers, S.

5. aussieNickuss macrumors newbie

My 09MBP17 only gets 3-4hrs charge at most on simple web browsing (not the 8 hours Apple promised). Perhaps I should try that calibration.

6. LiquidSpikes thread starter macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

I am still in process... just now starting the charge.. I let it run dead overnight :)

I wasnt meaning the sync of the time capsule.... but when I first bought my MBP I restored all my setting using the migration wizard from the time capsule...

do you think that it may of ported over a file/driver that was meant only for my older macbook pro that would affect the battery?:confused:

7. Arrandale macrumors regular

Not sure if an old driver would cause battery life problems, but that reminded me of this:
    An issue that many people have run into that causes the fans to be perpetually on at high speeds is idle print jobs. Go to your printer preference pane and delete any jobs waiting in the queue to see if your battery life improves.

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

Apple's 8 hour estimate is based on NON-FLASH low detail websites with 50% screen brightness. Btw run safari in 32 bit mode for longer battery life. You're not going to get that otherwise. Also for the op, yes your crappy battery life is entirely from trying to do a backup/wireless restore. The hard drive and wifi are very power hungry when run at full tilt. Anandtech has a good article on the recent MacBook pros showing the battery life estimates with different tasks.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

So 9 hours now when only browsing and making documents?

10. simoncello macrumors newbie

Battery Is Low

I have been working editing video and web browsing.
    And the duration is almost the same: 3-4 hours.

Its a brand new mac book pro i7.

11. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

This is one of the reasons I opted for the i5 processor. The i7's nominal power advantage isn't worth the battery life hit.

Debate.

12. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

editing video requires intensive CPU usage. that's not surprising for the battery life to get hit.

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

The power draw difference should be minor. Unless you have some stats that show the difference in battery life (not being an ass, genuinely interested).

14. atcorporate macrumors newbie

I also had this problem after doing a Time Machine restore from a backup. (Getting only 3 hours on a full charge and only doing casual web surfing, etc)

I reformatted the hard drive and restored via Apple's restore disks.

Everything's been fine now for 3 weeks. :) It was a pain to manually transfer things over, but at least I get gorgeous battery life now!