Bought New Trainers, Incredibly Uncomfy/Bad Design Inside - What Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kolax, Mar 28, 2012.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I bought these trainers:

http://www.schuh.co.uk/mens-white-vans-authentic-leather/3427561020

Were comfy enough when I tried them on in the shop. However, the design of the flap underneath the lace means that unlike tongues on normal trainers, this one is attached rather than being part of the trainer itself. The attachment ends where my toes start on my foot, so when I walk, the end of the attachment rubs against your foot and gives you blisters.

I've only discovered this after wearing then for two days. The trainers don't need to be broken into for this to stop, this is purely bad design. I've never found a trainer with the tongue attached like that. You can feel with your hand inside the trainer the attachment, and it is clear that it'll cause discomfort (although at the time of purchase, I walked 5 steps and wasn't able to feel the discomfort right away).

So, now, after owning these trainers for two days, I want to return them for ones that don't kill my feet. What can I do? Their return policy (UK) is that they can only exchange unused trainers, or faulty trainers.

Can I say these are faulty? The shop has other trainers I'd exchange for, so I'm not after a refund as such.

I'm going in tomorrow, but not sure how to play my cards. I've scrubbed them clean best I can, but it is obvious that they have been worn outside.

£60 ($95) is a fair bit of money to just toss down the drain if I can't exchange these trainers!

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

They sound faulty to me. I'd go return them. You might only end up with a credit but that'll still get your new shoes I'd imagine.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Credit is fine. I'll be polite about it all, but could do with some tips should they initially refuse an exchange because they've been worn.

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'd just be polite and honest about it. I'm sure they'll understand. If not ask for a supervisor. Somebody will be able to help you I'm sure.

5. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If the shoes are in a fit state that the store can re-sell them and you ask for an exchange (rather than a refund) I don't think there will be a problem. I have returned shoes to Schuh before that were slightly used and they were fine about it - I had just worn them around the house.

Worst that happens is they say no. Otherwise, you get some nicer shoes.

I have had a few of those exact shoes, only without the laces (loafers) and they were pretty comfy.