Bought new Wired Apple Keyboard and Launchpad button does nothing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, Sep 24, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I recently bought a Apple Wired Keyboard with the Number Keypad and am using it with my 2010 MBP that has Lion installed on it. When I use my MBP's keyboard, I remapped it so that the F4 button continues to be a Dashboard button.

When I plug in the Keyboard, the F4 button does nothing! It has the Lion keys on it (Mission Control, Launchpad) and I can't have anything happen when just pressing the F4 button.

How would I go about to at least get Launchpad to work by pressing F4? and how can I remap it to be Dashboard? I heard of FunctionFlip but don't want to download any extra software.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's supposed to work. Complain to Apple.

...and try turning off your F4 remap, as that likely applies to both keyboards.

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

My MacBook F4 button works fine though. It's just the F4 on the new keyboard doesn't.

Also how would I turn off the remap?

4. ljones macrumors regular

I can't speak to the new keyboards, but my old wireless keyboard launched Dashboard with no problem. I think the keyboards have these settings set, since i have the lion release of the macbook pro, with the LaunchPad on the keyboard. The MBP handles both keys based on what is represented on the key.

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Exactly. I have a pre-Lion wireless keyboard with the Dashboard button and that works fine in triggering Dashboard or Launchpad. No idea why this new one won't work. Is this Apple's attempt to make me get a new MBP?? I wouldn't mind that :D

6. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I have a new aluminum keyboard with the Lion keys and it works fine for me.

7. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Does your MBP have the Lion keyboard or Snow Leopard keys? If you have a Snow Leopard keyboard on your MBP, could you post your keyboard an mission control settings please?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im still very new to Mac, i have a MBP and i just purchased a usb keyboard

how do you know if you have a snow leopard or lion keyboard?

9. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Most likely you have the newest MBP. So it is not relevant to what I am going through...

When did you buy it exactly? If you bought it in the last 3 months then it is a Lion configured MBP.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its a refurb from early 2011, i purchased it a few weeks ago