Bought one of these SSD's off amazon, and have a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamie0003, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Vertex 3 has suffered from some issues so it would not be my #1 choice. E.g. Crucial M4 is a better choice.

3. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I just got rid of my 120GB Vertex 3 in favor of a 64GB Samsung 470. I've heard nothing but great from that drive, and I don't need the highest-end SSD anyway. I want fast, but reliable. Even if it's SATA II.

4. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm ok, but is it good for a first SSD?

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

It's good, just there have been a lot of problems with some users, whether it's a lot of beach balls (hanging), freezes, etc. Just be prepared if it doesn't run nice and smooth.

The thing was fast, but sometimes my boot/shutdown times would be 15/1 seconds, then it would be 2 minutes a piece. Or, it would randomly hang when opening anything for a minute, or completely freeze. Latest firmware and all, clean install and all. Vertex 3 is known for issues, but you may get lucky and it may run fine for you. If it does, congrats. I just bought mine for reliability and stability reasons.

And, I don't need more than a 64GB for a boot/program drive.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, depends what you look for. If you just want a relatively cheap SSD with fast theoretical numbers, then the Vertex 3 is a good choice but keep in mind that I warned you. Right now Samsung 470 Series is pretty much the only SSD with no widespread issues.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I have a Vertex 3 in my mid-2010 13" and love it; mind you, it's connected at SATA2. I've had zero issues with it (well, when I installed it I had to reboot it a second time for it to show in disk utility, but that took all of 10 seconds); it's stupid fast(for SATA2) reads 260MB/s writes 210MB/s, and I haven't had any problems with anything with it. I raced it against another 2010 13"(but with a 2.66GHz compared to my 2.4) with a 5400rpm HDD; I hit "restart" on both, the SSD had restarted and I opened Chrome, Mail, iCal, Word, and Transmission before the HDD had turned off. It's a night and day difference, and it's true I couldn't go back to using a HDD.

8. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well, I haven't scoured all of the forums looking for issues, but the Vertex III has been rock solid and fast on my 2011 17". I can't say the same for the Crucial C300, that was a nightmare. I know that there are quite a few people running the Vertex III with no issues. YMMV of course.

9. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Hey, I have used a Vertex 3 in my 2011 MBP for the last few months and I've had no problems with it at all. Its a great SSD and you'll love the performance.

Regarding the size, it is pretty small. As long as you leave at leave 10-15% of the drive empty you'll be fine. If it gets too full then the controller has a hard time managing the free space and your performance will suffer until you delete some files. Personally, I'd like to have you save a little more money and get at least a 120g. But, if your careful you'll be fine. Either way, its a lightening quick SSD and it will surprise you with its speed, I suspect.

10. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it's more of a test at the moment, just to see what having an SSD is like, if I really like it I can always get a bigger one at a later date, or go the removing the CD drive and replacing it with a HDD route.

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

The Vertex 3, I believe is the fastest available on the market, with the highest failure rate.

12. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

What's the failure rate of the Vertex 3?

13. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Last I heard, it was at least 3%

----------

Actually, that could be OCZ in general, but I've had about 5 OCZ SSDs fail in less than as many months.

14. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did you hear that? And any hard drive can fail you know..