Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
My "new" MacBook Pro 16 M1 has 1 dead pixel (might actually be dust under glass). But got for a good price.

16" Base model. 100% battery with 2 cycles. Has a very faint scratch on the lid as well. Other than that it is in excellent condition. From Amazon warehouse deals. $1715CAD ($1255USD) which is a good price for Canada. When it came out it retailed for $3000CAD.

So I'm curious, would you keep it or return it and keep hunting?... Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 8.26.58 AM.png

Last edited:

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
That dead pixel is clearly visible on an all-white screen. Have you thought about using dark mode? I'm betting that pixel would be difficult to spot in dark mode.

Yes I actually use a good app for chrome called dark reader. When I'm at normal viewing distance and looking at a white page it takes me like 10 seconds to even find it. Think its dust under the glass.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Yes I actually use a good app for chrome called dark reader. When I'm at normal viewing distance and looking at a white page it takes me like 10 seconds to even find it. Think its dust under the glass.
I remember that browser extension when I used Firefox (icon reminds me of Darth Vader).. wonderful extension. Dark mode is better on the eyes anyway.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Back in the old days when pixels were huge I could understand wanting an exchange because of a bad pixel, but these days pixels are so tiny you really have to be looking for it to see a dead one so I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Can you even see the pixel without basically shoving your nose into the screen?

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Back in the old days when pixels were huge I could understand wanting an exchange because of a bad pixel, but these days pixels are so tiny you really have to be looking for it to see a dead one so I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Can you even see the pixel without basically shoving your nose into the screen?

This is so true. About 10 years ago I had a 720p Toshiba TV with a dead pixel. Was clearly visible from across the room.

This one when normal sitting distance I have to really look hard to see it on a white page. Takes around 10 seconds lol

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
This is so true. About 10 years ago I had a 720p Toshiba TV with a dead pixel. Was clearly visible from across the room.

This one when normal sitting distance I have to really look hard to see it on a white page. Takes around 10 seconds lol
Yep, Retina display is doing you a huge favor there.

Reactions: Christoffee

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Does Amazon sell warranty, can you get AC+? I have bought few MBP in the past from Craigslist, but added AC later.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Nah. In Canada you can get AC+ within one year of ownership when bought new.
You don’t need to buy new, when did Apple register the first sale. If it’s less than a year, it’s eligible. If you check with SNO, it shows if it’s eligible or not.

Reactions: -DMN-

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
You don’t need to buy new, when did Apple register the first sale. If it’s less than a year, it’s eligible. If you check with SNO, it shows if it’s eligible or not.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 12.06.50 PM.png

I see this. Then if I sign in it asks me to manually enter a date when I bought it...

Macisawesome

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
My "new" MacBook Pro 16 M1 has 1 dead pixel (might actually be dust under glass). But got for a good price.

16" Base model. 100% battery with 2 cycles. Has a very faint scratch on the lid as well. Other than that it is in excellent condition. From Amazon warehouse deals. $1715CAD ($1255USD) which is a good price for Canada. When it came out it retailed for $3000CAD.

So I'm curious, would you keep it or return it and keep hunting?... Thanks.

View attachment 2381921
U got ripped off

• Haha
Reactions: ignatius345

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Looks like it wasn’t registered. Put the date you bought from Amazon, see if it works.

So...

Called Apple and sent them proof of purchase through Amazon and they said I now have a 1 year warranty and 60 days to add AC+. They said I should see it update in my settings within 5 days...

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Now, I hope Apple will even agree that this is a defect since it is so small 😆

EDIT: Can see it now..

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 12.48.05 PM.png

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
So...

Called Apple and sent them proof of purchase through Amazon and they said I now have a 1 year warranty and 60 days to add AC+. They said I should see it update in my settings within 5 days...

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

Now, I hope Apple will even agree that this is a defect since it is so small 😆

EDIT: Can see it now..

View attachment 2381985
Glad it worked out. Also check the manufacturing date, I have seen weird issues pop up from laptops sitting in warehouses for long time. If you are planning to keep it for more than 3 years, add an AC just in case of hidden issues which can’t be seen.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Glad it worked out. Also check the manufacturing date, I have seen weird issues pop up from laptops sitting in warehouses for long time. If you are planning to keep it for more than 3 years, add an AC just in case of hidden issues which can’t be seen.

Thanks. Just curious, how would I check the manufacture date? Coconut battery said "unknown".

Reactions: Falcon1962

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just a thought...

If that bad pixel is on the right side of the display (looks like it is), you could set your dock so that it appears "on the right" instead of on the bottom.

Then the bad pixel might be "in the dock", in an area that you would not normally "be looking"...

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Just a thought...

If that bad pixel is on the right side of the display (looks like it is), you could set your dock so that it appears "on the right" instead of on the bottom.

Then the bad pixel might be "in the dock", in an area that you would not normally "be looking"...

Yes good idea. Although I find the dock more annoying than a dead pixel 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.