Bought RAM, not detected by Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macmee, Jan 10, 2017.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I have a G4 Powerbook 1.5ghz 15". It takes PC2700 RAM. I bought some RAM from ebay:

SODIMM 1GB PC2700 1G DDR SDRAM 333MHZ 200pin LAPTOP RAM
    Standard 200-Pin PC2700 333MHz NON-ECC DDR-SDRAM SODIMM
    DDR-333 PC2700
    128Mx64 Latency CL 2.5 Voltage 2.5V

When this new stick is in the slot, the machine reports that slot as being empty. Another stick works fine in the slot (it's the upper slot so I know it's not the lower slot issue that these machines sometimes have, anyway).

Now, did I screw up and buy the wrong RAM (quite possible), or is this stick just a dud?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

From your description, you bought the right RAM. However with it being from eBay, it could be used, a dud, or mislabelled. Of course you run this risk from any retailer, but I'd get it returned and buy a new one.

You can try one for Amazon for not much more than you paid (I'm assuming): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B003C...1gb+sodimm&dpPl=1&dpID=51Gve7cR5VL&ref=plSrch

If it still doesn't work after this, it could potentially be a pairing issue (2 different brands), as unlikely as that may be. Or maybe a fault with the MLB reading up to 2GB. Either way, I'd start by returning the RAM you bought!

3. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

If you have a working RAM-chip in any of the slots just swap the working and your new RAM-chip.
    If you working RAM chip is fine in both slots, then there's no slot issue.
    If the new RAM chip then fails in both the slots, somethings wrong with that RAM-chip.

4. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

Make sure it's not "high-density" ram designed for those damn Via chipsets or weird Dell machines. The ram is dirt cheap, but only supported by certain memory controllers that are never used by Apple.

5. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I have absolutely no idea how to check this but if the RAM I bought isn't broken, then I bet you're right!

Good thinking - I just tried the ram in my g4 imac in addition to my powerbook and it's a no go in either machines. Ebay seller approved my return so I'm returning it now.

Thanks for the link - ordered that! I also grabbed another 1gb stick from another powermac I have and the powerbook recognizes 2gb at least (phewf!)