Bought refurbished iPod touch 4th gen - screen is 'squidgy' if I press the ipod..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jb7, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jb7, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

jb7 macrumors member

...is it faulty? I will try to get a video uploaded asap. Basically, if I press the area to the left of the home button, an area of the screen (just above the first icon in the dock) becomes squidgy. If I hold my finger there, it stays there. Once I let go, the screen goes back to normal. I'm not sure 'squidgy' is the correct term, but its definitely annoying. Anyone else had this problem?

Another way to describe it is to say that a strange liquidy blemish appears towards the bottom left of the screen when I press the area to the left of the home button

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Generally if you press on an LCD, it will make patterns in it

3. jb7 thread starter macrumors member

but it doesn't do this if I press the side to the right of the home button. This hasn't happened on an of my other iDevices either

4. jb7 thread starter macrumors member

uploaded a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUr0ISyx-Zk

That's what happens when I press the area to the left of the home button, and then let go. Have repeated it a few times on the video to show the problem...

should I return it?

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Same happens on my iPod touch 4th gen (brand new) Its not an issue, just don't be pushing the screen. Its a touch screen. Not a push screen. :)

6. jb7 thread starter macrumors member

The trouble is that it happens when I press the home button too (albeit more faintly) - thats how I noticed it, when I pressed the home button.

It happens worst when I press the area to the left of the home button, as shown on the video.

I think I'll return it and get a replacement...

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

There's no reason to return it, other than you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Seriously, it will be fine. There is no issue.

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

These things are called LCD displays for a reason. LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. Note the word "liquid". Liquids move around when you press on their container. It's normal.

9. jb7 thread starter macrumors member

But its not like I'm using excessive force. If I use anything more than the tiniest amount of force (i.e the bare minimum required to make an app load).. the smudgyness appears. It certainly shouldn't appear every time I press the home button, or when I hold/pick up the iPod with my fingers towards the left of the home button... but it does

10. 0wnage macrumors member

If you believe there is an issue, take it to an Apple store. You've got nothing to lose.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That doesn't sound right at all. Maybe on a cheap Dell monitor, but not an iDevice that's covered by glass. Time for a replacement

12. McDughf macrumors regular

I agree; On a desktop or laptop screen this is inevitable, but on an iPhone or iPod touch which is is covered with a a thicker layer of solid glass then the previously mention types I find it very strange. :confused:

try and compare it with the display models at you local apple store?

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That's technically not correct. Using your logic, it shouldn't move at all since it's called a liquid crystal display. Note the word "crystal".

It's not normal. Take it back to the Apple Store and ask (nicely) for a replacement.