Bought Rev B MBA, loose hinge...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gotsmartz, Sep 11, 2011.

1. gotsmartz macrumors newbie

I saw a "buy it now" listing for a 120gb rev B macbook air on ebay pop up for $500 shipped, so bought it right away. I used to have the Rev A and it was TERRIBLE. So I noticed on this one that the hinge is noticeably looser then my old one. It's not loose enough that it's a problem, but I'm afraid of it becoming a problem. The laptop has small dents on the corner so I'm sure Apple would claim it is user damage. But otherwise it is in VERY good condition, I would say 9/10. Is it worth keeping or will the hinge become a problem?
    Thanks!

2. stewie1 macrumors member

if the hinge has an inch of so of "give" you can take it into the Apple store for an out of warranty repair. You don't need Apple Care, it's covered. I had no problem doing this with a rev. B MBA that I bought secondhand. They basically replace the entire top half of the computer.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I agree with stewie. This was a widespread problem.

4. gotsmartz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but it does have dents in the corners that are bent a little, the last owner may have dropped it, but probably in a case or something. Will they still fix the hinge?
    Thanks!

5. Alkiera macrumors regular

I had a similar problem with my Rev A MBA; the plastic on one side cracked, and the hinge was wonky and made clicking noises when I opened or closed it. I did have Apple Care, and they replaced the whole screen section and hinge, no problems. From the sounds of it, they'd done it more than a few times for people in the past; mine was one of two in for that repair at the time.