Bought RMBP 2016 15inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xSyao, Nov 12, 2016.

1. xSyao macrumors newbie

Uh Dunno if this is the right place to post but I have some questions, concerns, etc

Just pre-ordered a Base 15 inch rmbp 2016 Space Grey from BB that is said to deliver on Nov 16 (prays)

Wondering If I'm going to regret my purchase, coming from a 2013 rmbp 13 inch wanted to get a 2016 13 w/o bar but parents helped me so I was able to purchase a base 15 as a graduation gift sorta.

Thing is:

Can the base model last me 3 years similar to my 2013 rmbp, reason why because I wanted the 16gb ram and my old mbp just hit the bucket and it ran out of Apple care so call me impatient I guess.

My usage is photo editing, web browsing, pdf viewing, lots of tabbing with research papers and stuffs.
    Gaming on things like Civ 6 (wondering if the base 450 can run this game fine)

Also with the lack of ports any good recommendations for a speck shell case or a sleeve for this particular model and adapters I should get that have an sd card reader.

2. dk808 macrumors 6502a

I think the base 15 inch can easily last more than 3 years for your uses. Not sure about the Civ 6 game though

3. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

I can last 10 years if you know how to look after your stuff... Many folks have working 2008 MBPs still.

4. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

5. iizmoo macrumors 6502

In your use case, might take 6-8 years before you even "feel" performance degradation. The only thing to look out for is the 15" have had a history of sometimes having issues with the discrete graphics. With AppleCare and a good Credit Card with extended warranty coverage, that can cover you to year 4 or 5.

Civ VI shouldn't be an issue, I believe there was a test done on the 13" base MBP that was available at the time, basically, it worked, but wasn't great. I think they mentioned something like about 15-20 Frames per second. The discrete graphics 450 is way better than the Iris 540, so you should be decent.