Bought the 2019 MacBook Pro 15" but am having some regrets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, May 26, 2019.

1. Hieveryone, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

4 thoughts:

1) I love my new 2019 base model MacBook Pro 15"

2) I am upgrading from my late 2013 rMBP 13"

3) I heard on YouTube that Apple is seemingly doing a 4 year refresh cycle and that maybe a 16" OLED MacBook Pro will be out in 2020 which is only a year away

4) I feel bad because I don't want to wait another year but at the same time this was like ~$2500 bucks and next year we may have a spectacular new model out

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

But you just bought a spectacular new model...

3. Dkka1 macrumors newbie

He probably bought a pctacular new model though.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I got the 2019 15” 6-core MacBook Pro 2.6/16/256

5. pshufd macrumors 6502a

There will always be a shiny new model around the corner.

6. Scott2018Z06 macrumors newbie

There will always be something new around the corner. If next year the new 16" MacBook Pro comes out it will probably be worth waiting for all the kinks to be worked out anyway. There will be issues with the new 16" as well.

7. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation and the World War II generation, is the demographic cohort following the Lost Generation. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1900s as starting birth years and ending birth years in the mid to late 1920s. The generation was shaped by the Great Depression and were the primary participants in World War II.

Similarly, the 2015 is now viewed as Apple’s Greatest Generation, and there are those who chose to wait for refresh and purchased 2016s, which had some issues. If you can get a 2018 cheap it may end up being the next GG. I’m not buying either 2019 or 2018 but I admit it’s tempting now that they will be going on sale.

8. Scott2018Z06 macrumors newbie

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

You are at least covered by the 14 day return policy for WWDC I think though - just in case a 16" does make a surprise appearance there - never know.

Personally I would have held onto that 2013 model at least through this calendar year to see if that 16" is a thing at some point this year, especially in that October time frame where we've seen Mac hardware before.

10. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the model you have. Just try to enjoy it and don't be concerned with what the future may or may not hold.

11. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

there is always something new on the horizon.

If you need one, now it is the best time to buy one.

Congrats

12. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

Enjoy what you have now, I just got the same base 15" model as you, love it, plenty of power for me, compared to my 13".....we will all cross the bridge of the potential "new 16" if and when it comes..... the new 15" is amazing and I love the keyboard, much easier to type of and more travel/responsiveness than the prior version IMO...

13. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

The thing is, I really do kind of need a new MacBook Pro unfortunately now.

I want to do some new things in life, and the 15” will help me with that a lot. Which is why I got it.

I’m already using it more for things I want to do so that’s the positive.

Worst case, does anyone know if there will be a trade in program?

I assume i would take a big hit, but if I could trade in my 2019 for the new OLED if it comes I would like to have the option.

14. xxray macrumors 6502a

If you need it now, you need it now. Next year will be a redesign. But then the year after that will be refining the redesign issues. It goes on and on. Next year will probably have a price bump with the redesign too, knowing Apple.

Trade in is here: https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

15. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

I’m not trying to be sour grapes, but as someone mentioned maybe there will be kinks initially with the new design anyway.

The way I see it, I got a fully loaded 2016 MacBook Pro lol.

That’s kind of how I see the “S” iPhones.

Like basically, the XS is a fully loaded iPhone X lol.

16. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

haha-- but its not really a 'new design' so I really don't think there I much to worry, sometimes, you just gotta trust!

17. currahee2100 macrumors regular

I think you're fine with what you got. I got my 2018 MBP knowing they may refresh this year. Refresh came with a small CPU spec bump. But I paid $1399 for mine at the time.

18. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

There will be a better computer next year either way. Probably a redesign, but that does you no good if you need a computer now. A redesign next year won't make your computer worse.

19. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I guess it is what it is ya know?

I’m very happy with this computer.

Does anyone know if the speakers got an upgrade? They sound INCREDIBLE for music.

Voice, such as tech reviews on YouTube, sounds a bit like there’s too much bass in some videos but otherwise love it!

20. William Payne macrumors 6502a

Something new always comes out, I just brought a 15” MacBook Pro with 2.6 i7 and Vega 20 32GB ram. A week after receiving it the 8 core was available.

I just want to work. I could return it and get the 8 but it would be weeks of hassle without my machine.

I have too much work to do.

21. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

If you need it, then don't spend energy fretting about it. The only thing you could do different is return it and get a deal on a refurbished model. If you think you might pick up whatever is the shiny new model next year and you don't really need a 2019, return this one and get a refurb 2018.

Apple's trade in values are pretty hard to accept unless you simply don't care about getting a competitive amount back and just want convenience. If I remember correctly, Apple doesn't even run their own trade-in program for phones and I assume it's the same for laptops.

I recently upgraded to a refurbished 2018 and sold my 2016 on eBay a few months ago. I managed to get back about 40% of what I originally paid.

22. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

If in 2020 Apple releases the new 16" model as rumoured, that will still be just one year short of a spec upgrade to that model. Which will in turn be one year short of another bump and possibly a better chassis or anything. And the cycle continues.

So... I suggest you either enjoy what you just bought, or get into a perpetual waiting loop. :D

You just bought the latest and greatest. If you needed it, I doubt you'd have thought about the 2020 model. In this case, I do suggest you do a soul-searching and either keep it or bank your money with a slight loss and get a new computer when you truly need a new one.