Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I just ordered a MacBook pro base 15" through the NHS (British). We get a discount and pay for it monthly.

The order is finalised on the 1st of November and is then shipped. I can not return it for money or for the later model, I am basically stuck with it. Do you guys know if they will just send the new model or if I can take it to an apple store and get it replaced?

My heart sunk when I read the news this morning :/

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I just ordered a MacBook pro base 15" through the NHS (British). We get a discount and pay for it monthly.

The order is finalised on the 1st of November and is then shipped. I can not return it for money or for the later model, I am basically stuck with it. Do you guys know if they will just send the new model or if I can take it to an apple store and get it replaced?

My heart sunk when I read the news this morning :/

But if you're that concerned about buying the latest and greatest, why did you buy a new MBP only a few days ago when it was all over this forum that a speedbump refresh was imminent?

Also, I thought you can usually return it within 14 days?

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
But if you're that concerned about buying the latest and greatest, why did you buy a new MBP only a few days ago when it was all over this forum that a speedbump refresh was imminent?

Also, I thought you can usually return it within 14 days?

I wasn't aware they would replace the 6490 with the 6750. Being a gamer this is a huge plus.

Because of the scheme, we can't return it. We can cancel it but then we don't have the perk of paying monthly and having the discount. I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this kind of thing. Maybe Apple will exchange it for me? Even though I didn't buy it directly from them?

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Sounds like a UK thing but can't you cancel it and reorder it?

Honestly, I have no idea why people behave like this is their first time buying anything online.

Even if you can't cancel the order, can't you simply refrain from opening it when it arrives, and ask for your money back via a return to the retailer.

Worst case scenario you pay a restocking fee.

Why are you guys all acting like this is your first time buying anything online?

JazzyFizzle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Honestly, I have no idea why people behave like this is their first time buying anything online.

Even if you can't cancel the order, can't you simply refrain from opening it when it arrives, and ask for your money back via a return to the retailer.

Worst case scenario you pay a restocking fee.

Why are you guys all acting like this is your first time buying anything online?

I'm not stupid. If I'd bought this from a retailer I wouldn't think twice about returning it. But like I said, I bought it through NHS. I order it now, and it is sent at the end of the month. As I specified I wanted the 2.0GHz 15", but the item hasn't been sent, I was just curious if I'd still get the 2.0 model or the updated one.

What I wanted to know was if I could return it directly to Apple, because I can't upgrade with the scheme I'm using. I guess I should just call them tomorrow.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I'm not stupid. If I'd bought this from a retailer I wouldn't think twice about returning it. But like I said, I bought it through NHS. I order it now, and it is sent at the end of the month. As I specified I wanted the 2.0GHz 15", but the item hasn't been sent, I was just curious if I'd still get the 2.0 model or the updated one.

What I wanted to know was if I could return it directly to Apple, because I can't upgrade with the scheme I'm using. I guess I should just call them tomorrow.

Can't you cancel your order? Perhaps they haven't already shipped it.

I'm not sure if Apple allows you to return stuff from 3rd party retailers. Perhaps if you show them a receipt you could be in luck.

But my priority would be cancelling the order.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
If you ordered it online you can just send it back, by EU law and I am pretty sure it applies to UK too.
How it is handled with your reseller you can usually read up on the website.

Just ask them if it is the updated Version or the old one. I am guessing it will be the new one considering the dates.
In any case you can give it back and besides the shipping fees they shouldn't be allowed to charge any kind of restocking fee as it used to exist in the US. You don't have to give any reason. You can basically just say yeah I thought the shade of grey was a little different I don't want it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.