Bought the iPad 2, Decided to Take it Back

Discussion in 'iPad' started by harrisxml, Mar 26, 2011.

1. harrisxml macrumors newbie

...just serving as a data point for those of you deciding.

I was excited to get this newfangled toy that is generating so much buzz. I'm a minimalist and the concept of having the internet and a large library of applications in my hands was enticing... What I found with the iPad 2 is a lack of comfort with the form factor, typing, and application quality. Having to hold the display and type on it at the same time makes most positions uncomfortable for use. It is a couch device.

I use a 17" 2010 MBP and an iPhone 4, both of which have phenomenal display quality and I think I'll stick with this setup.

2. Cole JM macrumors regular

I dont agree at all, but to each his own.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Fair enough. 99% of the time when I use my iPad it is on my desk or on my couch. I very rarely actually hold it when using it (except when on the can).

4. cmoore49 macrumors regular

there are many cases available that will let you type comfortably.
    just do a search. I think you might change your mind if you give it a fair chance.
    But to each his own.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's just awesome!!

6. auero macrumors 65816

I own he same products as you except a 2011 17".

I returned mine as well. I do agree it is a couch device and I felt that spending almost $900 on a device (64GB 3G) was too much especially for the fact that every unit I opened was scratched/scuffed or had a bad screen. Even the manager recommended waiting but if I do buy one it will sure be a 16gb wifi just for sitting on the couch and using. I don't find it that useful. Im actually debating on ordering the $529 first gen from AT&T since its a great deal.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking to do "serious" work in that extensive typing or interaction with a keyboard, then yeah the iPad is not the best tool for the job.

If you want to use a product for emails, surfing and mobility is a critical point. Then the iPad is great. I use my iPad for many tasks but typing long documents is not one of them. The lack of a file system, and the ergonomics of using the iPad are such that its just not the best tool