Bought the Leica D-Lux 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Crawn2003, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I just wanted to say thanks to all the input everyone gave me on making a decision for a camera for a pro level user. It definitely doesn't compete with my Fuji S5 or Nikon D2x but it does hold it's own!

I really like the image quality and the manual controls! Not to mention the 16x9 photos it can take!!

Also, on a side note, I'm moving cross country next week to Santa Rosa, California. That was the main reason for getting the camera because I didn't want to deal with either of the dslrs in the cabin of the truck.

If I snag some great photos I'll post them here, in the photo of the day, or in a new thread. Depends on what I manage to get!

Thanks again everyone!

~Crawn

P.S. This is the one I got...

[​IMG]

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Congrats on buying the Leica .... smart move ... :):)
    Look forward to seeing some results.

Here is a little pic taken with my Leica during the summer. Not altered other than resized .

Attached Files:

3. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I've been tempted by getting the D-Lux 3 as a point & shoot to suppliment my DSLRs, but one thing kinda stops me... isn't it just a rebadged Panasonic Lumix with different firmware? Are there any comparisons between the two? I personally prefer the Leica lines but can it justify the price hike?

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Not quite,
    The Leica has an aluminum alloy body not plastic like the Panasonic .. :)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you care about the photos and not the brand, I don't think it matters. No, not even the aluminium vs plastic body argument will sway my opinion. ;)

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You might change your mind if you ever cracked a plastic body .... :eek:

Opps !!

7. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

That's quite a saturated and contrasty photo. Is that the Leica's default setting or did you boost?

8. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

It'll be my next camera so I'm very interested in real-life test results! This is great. I know part of me is a snob so I'll take the Leica over the Panasonic. :p If I may be so bold to ask, what did you pay for it? :confused:

9. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Congrats. A great little camera. Also, when you don't want to use RAW mode, the JPEG compression is markedly different from the tones/colours that the Panasonic LX2 uses. Very different looking pictures in JPEG mode.

If you really want some inspiration as to what this camera can do, take a look at Jim Radcliffe's site with pictures taken exclusively using a D-Lux 3. And no, Jim doesn't work for Leica. :)

10. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Standard settings but it was a very bright (contrasty) day. On dull days the colour is very true.

11. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Thanks, that's good to know. I like the 16x9 format as I find I'm cropping quite a few of my Canon 5D pictures for widescreen viewing. I wonder if this model is due for an update soon ...

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The 16:9 format is what I use most of the time as most of my photos are used for dvd slide shows on a widescreen TV.

IMO I don't think the "3" is due for replacing just yet .... although I have wrong before (frequently) !!! .. :eek::eek: