Bought The One Ring

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StephenCampbell, May 13, 2013.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

This was delivered to me this morning. The One Ring, size 11, solid 18kt gold, no hallmarks or inscriptions, straight from the Jens Hansen Goldsmith in New Zealand.

This is not something I could afford, but I just had to get it anyway. What are some things you've bought even though it was unrealistic financially? :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/img4652lj.jpg/

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

2 bed flat in London, even though we were planning on having children and my wife would be giving up work. Fortunately my work relocated to the midlands, so we made a killing on the property (about a 75% profit) due to when we bought and sold and the improvements we made. Been living mortgage (from the french Death-grip) for the past 6 years or so.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

In the land of South Dakota, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord BOA forged in secret a master Ring...

I think we've all made this sort of mistake at one time or the other [often repeatedly]. Of course, I could at least drive mine or cook dinner but I couldn't say that these things were strictly justifiable. :)

4. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Wow! :eek:

Are you sure there are no inscriptions? Have you tried heating it up in a fire? :p

5. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

None at all. The guys at Jens Hansen are able to make it with no hallmarks or inscriptions because it is their ring.

I actually first became interested in purchasing The One Ring when I saw it on the Weta website, but I argued with them for months and they were unwilling to ship it without the New Line Cinema and Jens Hansen authentication marks on it. I couldn't justify the price if it wasn't going to be exactly like the ring in the film.

Then I discovered that it's Jens Hansen that is supplying Weta their rings, and that they're willing to ship out a special 'no marks' version. :) And it was quite a bit less expensive than Weta's ring too...

6. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

You're dying for us to ask so I will. Just expensive was it?

7. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, it's really easy to look it up so I didn't think it was a secret...

I paid about $2,670 for the ring, about $2,750 with shipping, jewelry wipes and international transaction fee.

Right after I ordered it the New Zealand dollar got progressively weaker against the U.S. dollar for several days in a row, so it would cost about $75 less today. Get yours now! :D

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I'm a bit lost. It's a nice gold ring but what is the "one ring"? I know LotR and all but what makes that ring different from a standard gold ring since it doesn't have all the writing on it?

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i assumed the thread title meant, the OP bought a wedding ring...

as in the ring that will rule the man... or take at least 50% away if it doesn't work out.

10. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

This is the ring that Jens Hansen designed for the Lord of the Rings movies. It is the same ring you see on screen throughout the films. It has a unique and extremely attractive look to it, and is heavier than a normal gold ring due to the thickness of the band.

I think most people who have seen the Lord of the Rings films a few times could tell instantly whether they're looking at a "standard gold ring" or The One Ring.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My wife bought my wedding ring from Weta, although its silver and has the inscriptions, really fine work.

My first year anniversary gift is Anduril. :D