Bought through carrier....what should I do about wArranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 15, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Bought thru Verizon and I thought I read they were gonna let people buy the apple care plus warrNty. If not would a square trade warranty be worth it? I know it comes with one year Manufactor warranty but what if I dropped it and it was accidental damage? Do I just have to buy a new phone full price? I paid 200 with contract, if I went with square trAde would they cover $200 or enough to replace it? If they only did what I paid I wouldn't be worth it imo

2. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I've never had a SquareTrade warranty, but I have thought about it. I chose to go through Apple, both for the extended tech support and the ease of repair/replacement if your phone is damaged. It's easy to walk into an Apple store and get everything taken care of right away.

And yes, you can still get Applecare+. Per Apple's website:
    How to get AppleCare+
    AppleCare+ must be purchased together with your new iPhone. To buy it, add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:

Pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) or iPhone 4S
    Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)

Contact us at 1-800-275-2273 to purchase AppleCare+.

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So is the warranty worth it? If I didn't get I and I was within the 1 year free warrra nth what would happen if it broke? Do I just take it in? If I do buy it is the warranty transferable if I was to get an iphone 5 in a year

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

It's hard to say if it's worth it or not...depends on you. First, yes the warranty is transferable if you sell your 4S. It may help you get a higher resale value, but it's hard to say.

If you don't buy Applecare+ and your phone breaks in the first year, you would take it in to an Apple Store. If the cause was accidental damage (your fault, i.e. dropping it or something) Apple's policy has been to give you a replacement for $200. I believe that policy is still going to be effective. If the phone broke due to something not your fault (malfunctioning home button or something) they should fix it for free.

If you do buy Applecare+, you pay $99 up front for the coverage. Then you get an additional year on the basic warranty, plus two incidences of accidental damage coverage. So if you dropped your phone, you would take it in to Apple, pay a $49 deductible, and they would fix it or replace it. You could do that twice in the 2 year timeframe.

So, it's up to you if you think it's worth it or not.

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Thanks for explaining that. R they usually good about replacing/fixing without A hassle?

6. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Also if I dropped it are they gonna typically no it was an accidental damage

7. 00trayn macrumors member

I tried to call Apple Care this morning and gave up after 25 minutes on hold. I'm gonna wait for all the new iPhone users having issues to stop calling and try again tomorrow. I live 5 minutes from the nearest Apple Store in Virginia, so I find Apple Care + worth it. If my phone is acting up, or breaks, I can have a replacement or someone at the Genius bar fix it within hours. That's worth $99 to me. I have an Otterbox Defender case on it, so dropping and breaking it seems unlikely, but I have bad luck with things malfunctioning, so I like to have Apple Care as a backup.

8. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

ughhhhhhhhhh decisions decisions. i plan on getting the next iphone to come out which is about a year...so as long as i don't drop it i'm good...and if i did destroy it i guess i'd have to pay $200 for a new one?

also what if i drop it and the glass cracks and i want to get it replaced, is it gonna be an outrageous fee?