Bought two macs, Appecare question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shorn, Jun 23, 2012.

1. shorn macrumors regular

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2012 MBA, thunderbolt display, and a mac min all in one order.
    It was purchased through the higher education store, and I paid the extra £48 to upgrade to 3 years Appecare.
    Now I've had my Appecare certificate come through, it only lists the display and the MBA.
    Should it cover both macs?

2. simsaladimbamba

It should cover only ONE Mac. You need to get another Apple Care for the other Mac.

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The Thunderbolt Display may be covered under the AppleCare for a Mac. Call and make sure. You can also look through the AppleCare conditions.

I have a Mac Pro with a 27" Apple Cinema Display covered under the AppleCare for it.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You have to buy the display applecare in addition to the machine's, and you can only do the display one if it's purchased at the same time as the machine. Best bet though rather than believe what we're all saying is to plug your serials into the Apple site and see what they say.. that's the authoritative record.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

5. shorn thread starter macrumors regular

I think my question was answered by simsaladimbamba, and as I said, I know the air & the display are covered.

If the mini is not covered by the AppleCare, it shoud at least be covered by the 3 years warranty as it was purchased through the education store.

I've not got the serial for the mini yet, as haven't received the order yet, but I'll check when it arrives.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you bought AppleCare for the MBA it does not also cover the mini. (However, this is one of the few times where paying the extra £50 was worth it as your display is now covered by AppleCare as you bought it at the same time).

Apple's systems can take a while to show the free 3 year warranty for students exists. The online warranty check may show 1 year on your mini for a few weeks but it will change after a while. Plus, everyone should get an automated email after ~90 days explaining they have the free 3 year warranty.

If you really want AppleCare for the mini you can no longer get the ~£50 price as that is only available at the time of purchase. So you would either have to cancel and reorder or pay more for AppleCare. However, few students really need to pay the uplift to AppleCare as the free warranty is very similar.

See my sig for more info.