Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Since I'm the designated setter upper for her new phone. Is it simply the case of inserting her current tmobile nano sim inside her new iPhone xs max and that's it or do I have to engage tmobile customer services? Its been a while since I setup an iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just insert the old SIM into the new phone.

Be aware that if you bought 'unlocked' from any store other than Apple, the XS will actually lock to T-Mobile. That's because of the Apple Retail Flex policy that applies to third party vendors.

It means that you'll have to call T-Mobile and ask them to unlock the phone after 40 days if you want it unlocked again.

A way around that is to insert a Verizon SIM first, then the T-Mob SIM.

If none of that matters to you then no need to worry.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Just insert the old SIM into the new phone.

Be aware that if you bought 'unlocked' from any store other than Apple, the XS will actually lock to T-Mobile. That's because of the Apple Retail Flex policy that applies to third party vendors.

It means that you'll have to call T-Mobile and ask them to unlock the phone after 40 days if you want it unlocked again.

A way around that is to insert a Verizon SIM first, then the T-Mob SIM.

If none of that matters to you then no need to worry.
Oh dear. I wasn't aware that it would lock to tmobile, hence why I didnt buy from bestbuy lol. I bought a brand new sealed "unlocked" from Ebay.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Oh dear. I wasn't aware that it would lock to tmobile, hence why I didnt buy from bestbuy lol. I bought a brand new sealed "unlocked" from Ebay.
The policy doesn't apply to eBay vendors, but it would apply to any third party vendor the seller may have got the phone from - if they did.

Unless you have a reason not to trust the seller you should be fine.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
The policy doesn't apply to eBay vendors, but it would apply to any third party vendor the seller may have got the phone from - if they did.

Unless you have a reason not to trust the seller you should be fine.
Thanks, I've messaged the seller. They seem legit with over 8k sales and 100% feedback

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Here's a screenshot of description.
Screenshot_20190825-135852_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20190825-135906_eBay.jpg

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
Was this option cheaper than buying direct through Apple? I don’t know enough about eBay selling but this would have me suspicious? I hope it all works out for you.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Well it all turned out good for her. It was a genuine unlocked device. After setup with a T-Mobile sim , I installed a Sprint sim and it recognized it. I did also pay an eBay seller $1 to run a gxr search on the device before opening it.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Now the only issue is how to bring over the pictures from her sd card, I think ios13 will help? In particular with the file name convention.

She already had to bump her storage space from the complimentary 5gb to 200gb. This is for a new IOS user. Her backup was rated at approx 85gb on her first day of use on the iPhone. Probably the stuff that migrated over from using iOS move app .

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.