Bought used 2015 MBP

Fried Chicken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
As the title says. The 2011 MBP decided to brick itself for reasons as yet unclear. I've been eyeing the 2015 MBP since the announcement of the idiotic 2016 version with the idiotic touchbar. I got the 2.8GHz i7 version with 1TB of SSD (hopefully the seller didn't try upgrading it himself).

Is there anything in particular to check with these machines? I'm of the general consensus the 2015 MBP is the best Laptop ever made. The battery has something like 3 cycles on it, so it was probably left plugged in the whole time. Is this bad for the battery?

What about people that own a 2015 Macbook Pro? Do you like it? How's the longevity?

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
ok so i personally still have and use my RMBP 15 inch 2015 mine is the base model 2.2 i7 256 gb ssd I got mine used with apple care for a steal back in 2016. I still say by it being the last legacy RMBP it will keep an amazing resell value for years to come and by you having such a high spec version the value on your will be pretty great for years to come aslong as you take care of it.

Things to check for is the display coating if you see any defects with it take it to the apple store immediately and they will replace the entire display free of charge and 9/10 they will repair any parts that need servicing free of charge as well giving you a fully refurbished machine.

When it comes to the batter i suggests you download an app called (coconut battery) it will tell you the full capacity of the battery while also providing you with the exact age and manufacturing date.

you will love and enjoy it so much man congrats

Reactions: Photography

saudor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Having the battery plugged in is bad over time - especially if it's a 2015 one and it's actually been used. They could have also replaced it with some 3rd party battery too (if those are actually replaceable)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I'm still on my MBP mid 15 and it's still as fast and quiet as the day I bought it. My battery health is at 94%. My only gripe is the marks left on the display when you close it. I just put a piece of paper between it. Otherwise it would be annoying to keep cleaning the display.

Fried Chicken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Apparently it's had the staingate done already. Maybe apple replaced the battery, thus explaining the low battery count.

I'll be sure to run coconut battery. If I'm dissatisfied, I have a short window to return it. (If for example the SSD or Battery health is low).
The old MBP failed because of bad soldering on the GPU. Is this generation afflicted by a similar issue?

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
My advice:

IF you sense that the display has already been replaced due to StainGate, don't worry about it -- just use it and be happy.

But... to prevent problems with the display again ... my advice is to treat it with great care. My approach (that I use on my own 2015 MBP):
- use extra care when opening/closing the lid so that you don't touch the display (even the "blacked-out" part)
- DO NOT "routinely wipe" the display. Your goal should be to have as little contact with the display surface as is possible
- DO "gently dust off" dust with a soft cloth (but don't "apply pressure").
- If you need to remove something on the surface of the display, a soft moist cloth and as little pressure as possible should be used.
- try not to put pressure on the closed MBP, such as packing it into a backpack with other stuff pressing against it.

Fried Chicken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
My advice:

IF you sense that the display has already been replaced due to StainGate, don't worry about it -- just use it and be happy.

But... to prevent problems with the display again ... my advice is to treat it with great care. My approach (that I use on my own 2015 MBP):
- use extra care when opening/closing the lid so that you don't touch the display (even the "blacked-out" part)
- DO NOT "routinely wipe" the display. Your goal should be to have as little contact with the display surface as is possible
- DO "gently dust off" dust with a soft cloth (but don't "apply pressure").
- If you need to remove something on the surface of the display, a soft moist cloth and as little pressure as possible should be used.
- try not to put pressure on the closed MBP, such as packing it into a backpack with other stuff pressing against it.
I know Staingate has been performed. Do I still have to worry about this?

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015
Yes
I know Staingate has been performed. Do I still have to worry about this?
you do it’s essitally the same exact screen just new so it still prone to the issue the best thing to do is buy a plastic screen protector off amazon or a reputable dealer of your choice and change it out every 6-12 months depending on usage