Bought used 21.5 i3, but have a ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFalcon, Jul 19, 2011.

1. iFalcon macrumors regular

Hi -

I picked(local) up a 6 month old iMac 21.5 i3 with 8 gigs of RAM for 750 about 3 weeks ago. I thought this was a pretty good price considering they are $930 on the Apple refurb store. It included everything except the box.

However, I noticed the screen has the infamous grey/black blotchy spots in the up left corner and a couple more towards the center. I typically only notice it during bootup or if the screen is a white background.

My question is will Apple give me a bad time taking in for an inspection of the screen if I bought it used? It has warranty though November 2011.

Any advice of how to approach them on this issue? I suppose it's luck of the draw if they would consider replacing the screen since machine is perfectly funtional.

Thanks.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

No, Apple will not treat you any differently than the original owner, as the warranty is tied to the machine not the owner. Make an appointment and see what happens.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

As mentioned the warranty goes with the computer not the owner. I would register it first online, then give a call.

4. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Apple replaced the screen without any questions. The new one screen is great color with no noticable yellow tint.

I know it's not top of the line, but for 750 feel we did well.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

That's pretty good. Apple service really comes through. Plus, you can always still buy Apple Care before it is a year old.