bought used for new

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by galileo.com, Mar 24, 2010.

1. galileo.com macrumors newbie

guys, i think i've bought a used imac 27 inch instead of getting a new one. the guy who sold me the imac swears that it has never been used before and i simply don't know any way to prove that it's not. the prblem is that i was picking up my imac from the store and they used to have a 27 inch imac on display but now they don't. can i do some check to make sure that my imac hasn't been used before? please help. Thanks

2. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Hi you can check the iMac for scratches and dents also check the cleanness of the keyboard and mouse. Another thing you can check is if the guy installed new apps or has personal files on his mac. But the best option is to trust him! Where did you get the machine from? Cheers

3. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Yep.

When you start the machine for the first time, your first hint would be if it loads at the wizard or not.

If it does, then you have a fresh OS X install. Your question is whether it came from the factory or not, and you can find that out by going to your hard drive in Finder (click the finder icon, choose the hard drive)...

Push Command + I

Warning: This may not still work It used to be that factory installs of OS X had some sort of number in the "spotlight comments" section. IIRC it referred to what version of the hard drive image they would put on the computer at the factory.

Dunno if that's still the case, but it may work for you :)

Another way, is to inspect the intake on the back of the machine under the hinge, if it's ever been on it'll be dirty. :)

4. palane macrumors member

Something for nothing

If I have this right, you bought an iMac at a store and when you picked it up, the display model was gone. You want to make sure you didn't buy the display model.

If they were lazy, you could do things like fire up Safari and check the browser history and cache. Or see if there was evidence of files having been saved. Presumably, some kind of unerase software would show if files had been created and deleted. Is there any physical evidence that the computer doesn't look new?

BB

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Haha all of us said kind a the same thing except with a minute difference

6. galileo.com thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it guys!!!

in help write console
    click on system messages
    it will open a window>>at the bottom click on "open console"
    under database searches click on "all messages"
    u'll have messages by date and you can click on "earlier" at the bottom to see files from the start!!
    mine has been used for 2 weeks :mad:!! what do you suggest to do with the store? go as mean as u can!!

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I would come UN-GLUED.

8. galileo.com thread starter macrumors newbie

u know the disgusting thing is that i bought the most expensive machine they have and i paid even more to upgrade from 4gb ram to 8gb, i paid USD 3000 guys!!!

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Time to crack some skulls my friend :D

Don't just settle for a replacement either, ask to speak to a manager immediately and at least get some sort of a discount. That is if you still intend to get another computer from them.

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

1. I do not know what state you live in. I worked in retail for a number of years selling computers, and in the state I worked in it was against the law to sell used or returned computers as new! You might want to check with the consumer division of your states attorney general to see if you have any laws like this in your state.

2. I would take a screen shot of the info you see on your screen to show the manager of the store, as proof that this is not a new machine.

3. Do you have written proof that the salesperson sold you a new or used machine? Or at least know his/her name? Both would help you when talking to the manager.

You paid $3,000 for a new iMac and therefore that is what you should have received...period!

11. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

I would say the most obvious way to tell is by the Apple seal on the protective cover on the actual computer.

12. galileo.com thread starter macrumors newbie

guys, this is my first time ever to use a mac, look what i have attached, i guess i can send them to apple and maybe close the whole dealer if they didn't please me. i used "grab" to take screen shots.

Attached Files:

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I don't know... personally I'd do a lessen learned kinda deal just cause you have to confront the guy and what if he says, hey Its new and basically deny it. Then what??? Is this a out of store/personal transaction? Just seems like waaay too much trouble. If anything, just say, lesson learned and karma well get this guy back.

I guess the philosophy I come from is there's more important things in life than focusing on this you know... Like I bought a "new" mbp, 13 inch. High end model with the retail being 1500... I got it for 1200 even thought the guys said new and not used. I could tell it was not new due to the battery age when installing coconutbattery... but oh well it look new, acts new, feels new, and I save money so screw it.

14. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

He paid full price for a used item. That is unethical.

15. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If you paid by debit/credit card, contact your bank or Visa/Mastercard and tell them that you paid for a new computer and received a used one. Show them the console logs showing multiple boots before the purchase date. Give them your phone records or dates/times you had in person conversations and tried to let the seller fix it. Let Visa handle it from there. Why frustrate yourself with a reseller who has already lied to you?

Also, if you bought it from an Apple authorized reseller, send a message to Apple saying that they need to take a look at the reseller. If they're ripping off customers, they're probably ripping Apple off, too.

If it wasn't an Apple-authorized reseller and/or you paid cash, now you know better.

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I live in the UK, but I am fairly confident that the US has some consumer protection agencies. The store belongs to someone where you can complain...

First, stop using the computer and have everything in writing in an acceptable manner. You also need to relax.

Whoever you bought the computer from, tell them that you are planning to file an official complaint and you want a full refund on the basis that they misrepresented the item. You might also tell them that you are planning to get your expenses from them, should the case go to court.

That's enough for today and tomorrow... get yourself on the phone!

17. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

Man I would be LIVID! Take it back and demand a refund/replacement!! Normally the box would be sealed, but I guess thats a moot point because you said you had them upgrade the ram.

18. blacktop macrumors newbie

another possibility would be to see when the warranty expires...
    as soon as the store opens it up, im assuming when they setup, Apple
    starts the 12months (unless you/they took AppleCare)

if the warranty on ur serial number expires less than 12months from the day you purchased...its proof enuf that they sold u a used machine i guess!

19. palane macrumors member

Nice work, detective

This has been an interesting thread. Mind you, my preferred way to buy a Mac is to pick up a refurb from Apple's online store. Preferably just after a refresh as the prices drop by a few hundred. The only Mac we've had that died was a brand new one.

BB

20. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

That's hideous man (sorry for assuming penis ownership)!
    Whether it's illegal or not it's certainly bad business practice.

Thenagain, not so long ago (with all the issues plaguing the first samples) I'd have offered full price for a in-store sample (instead of taking my chances with a new one (after waiting for weeks))...

IMNSHO: If you have a working sample, keep it.
    Send the store manager an email/pop in and ask for a rebate or something nice and if necessary a written statement prolonging your warranty (by the store) to one year from purchase.

Pekka

P.S. At least in these parts of the world the seller's/clerk's identity is to be found on the receipt (which I hope they gave you).

21. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

No way you should leave this at "lesson learned"... you paid full retail price for a NEW computer. Go back to the store, show them the receipt (establishes Sell Date), show them the console logs (establishes Used Date). If you have to take the computer into the store to prove it, do so. I wouldn't leave that store again until I got:

1) If you want to keep the computer, a refund or adjustment equivalent to 20%, or their normal "open box" markdown, and make them foot the bill for extended AppleCare, or if you bought from Best Buy, the in-house (called "Black Tie"? not sure anymore) service/warranty plan

2) If you want a brand new computer, some sort of gift card (if you ever trust to shop there again) as a "We're sorry."

If the manager knew of this practice, I would also EECB (executive e-mail carpet bomb, a la the Consumerist) corporate and support channels.

If the manager didn't know of this practice, I'd expect that the salesman will get an earful and maybe even get fired... at least I would hope that, probably won't get to see it though.

Seriously, accept nothing less than a replacement with some sort of inducement for your troubles, or if you keep it, get a refund for the difference and some sort of warranty support thrown in.

22. charliex5 macrumors regular

I was just at Best Buy in Spokane, WA this last weekend and they had a shelf full of "open box" macs for a discount. At first I wasn't really sympathetic here but the more I thought about it the more I've been getting irritated. Get these guys!

23. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Completely agree. Fight it. And if they keep giving you excuses, show the proof and get assertive. That's what I had to do with the remainder of my dud iMac refund this past Tuesday.

You deserve a replacement at the very least.

24. lawnman macrumors newbie

You must have upgraded the ram with 2x4GB on a quad core i7 iMac to get to 3000.00 USD.

25. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Not everyone is comfortable ordering and performing upgrades on their own... the issue still remains that the retailer cheated him out of what he paid for.