iPad Bought used iPad 4th gen with working Verizon SIM card

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PongYKong, Apr 15, 2014.

1. PongYKong macrumors newbie

Hello, I purchase a used iPad 4th a month ago and after resetting all settings (not a full reset, just settings as I did a full reset at purchase) with no wifi the default verizon lite came on and I realize I have service with it. I just want to know what I should do? Should I just never turn on cellular or am I free to use the service? Also thought about removing the SIM card and not worry about it.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you actually try connecting to the internet (for example, go to a website in Safari)? If you are just seeing the cellular signal dots in the status bar, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have service.

3. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

A brand new iPad comes with the SIM card "active". I'm sure that's all it is.

4. PongYKong thread starter macrumors newbie

We'll I turn off wifi to test it and it works. Also in settings it tells you how much data I use and it is working.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds like the previous owner did not deactivate the cellular account.

6. PongYKong thread starter macrumors newbie

If that is the case then is it safe to use?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, you won't be charged for it, but if the previous owner notices that they forgot to cancel it, then somehow discovers that you were using it without notifying them, they could get upset at you. Best way to avoid future trouble will be to let them know they need to cancel the data plan.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

What do you mean by safe?

Personally, I wouldn't use it, but that it more for ethical reasons than anything else.