Bought used iphone 8GB and can't restore...help plz!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Barby1980, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Barby1980 macrumors newbie

Okay so I (well my dear BF) bought a used apple iphone 8GB and it is "frozen" well I've tried to do the recovery thing and holding down both buttons (home, sleep)...I've tried doing the same and recover on itunes which I just downloaded a few hours ago to try and do this but all I keep getting is the "error 2003" message...what the *bleep* can I do to restore to factory settings? HEEEEEEEEELP please!!!:eek:

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

You may have a bad 30 pin connector - USB cord. Try using a different one if you have it. If not, make sure that you have the latest update to iTunes.

When you held both buttons down was the phone connected to the computer? It needs to be. Also, did you get a message that says "iTunes has discovered a phone in recovery mode, you must restore it be use"?

3. Barby1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually holding both buttons down I did it while it was plugged into the wall charger And I did it connected to the computer...I just bought a brand new USB cable and yes it does say it has discovered a phone in recovery mode...it proceeds to verify the restore with apple, extracts software, the screen goes blue, then that darn error comes up on itunes, and the apple logo comes back on the phone screen..:confused:

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

hmmmmm...I look up the 2003 error code and I couldn't find much on it. Like I said, just make sure you're updated to the newest version of iTunes. You said you just downloaded it the other day, but they just came out with a new version today i believe, so you'll want to update to that. If you have already, then I can't be much more help. Google iTunes 2003 error code and see if you have more luck that me.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like it has a hardware problem.
    If he bought it "frozen" then the previous owner couldnt do anything with it and unloaded it to your lovely BF:D

6. Barby1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wonderful...my BF is such a sucker for "good deals":rolleyes:...It seems like it must be that...I doubt his friend will do the upstanding thing and refund him the money so he'll probably have to suck up the loss...:rolleyes:

Anyway thanks for the responses...it's still doing the same crap and I don't know about dealing with ATT customer service since indeed it's a "second hand" phone.:rolleyes:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Have him talk to his friend and either get his money back or have him somehow "fix" it but it sounds like its unusable and has hardware damage.
    With friends like his.... :D

8. Barby1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right...Well he's going to take it in tomorrow to an ATT store...he's willing to pay to get it fixed because someone else wants to buy it for $50 more than he payed for it but if it costs to have it fixed then it's so not worth it...bless his heart he's so trusting at times...:p

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

For one, AT&T can do nothing to fix it. They don't have Apple service techs. And hopefully you get a VERY nice Genius when you take it to the Apple store, but rarely do they "fix" hardware problems, they normally just tell you that you need to buy a new phone.

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

AT&T won't repair/replace the iPhone. He'd have to go to the Apple Store. Apple will replace the iPhone for $200 and give you a refurbished 3G.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly like my friend said above.
    If someone is willing to buy it in the condition that its in he should run and try to get his money back. If he makes profit on top of that even better but hope he dont get stuck with it.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

all three of us just said the exact same thing haha

13. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Our minds think alike, lol:eek:

14. Barby1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all of you....I figured that they will only tell him he needs to deal with apple and he'd have to end up buying a diff phone but he doesn't believe me...:(

Oh well not my prob anymore...I just wanted to try and restore it for him...thank you all for taking time out to answer!:D

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

no problem:cool:

16. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Gotta love when a woman knows more about technology than her boyfriend.... ;)

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear that.
    My type of girl:)