Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unicorns16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
Hi,

I bought a jailbroken iPhone 5 from someone, then when I went to go activate it, the Best Buy employee said that the phone was either reported lost/stolen, or the number had not been deactivated.

Called seller, and asked if he deactivated it, and he said he forgot but would do it when the Sprint helpline opens, tomorrow morning. Apparently he switched from Sprint to T-Mobile sometime in the last few weeks, and changed numbers as well for some reason.

It does still have his Facebook signed in, and what must be his old number listed in the phone settings.

My question is, since I am already in possession of the phone, will he be able to remotely deactivate the phone? Or would he have to take the phone into the store? I have no phone(broken, why I need a new one) to contact him with, but gave him a friend's number to text when (if) he deactivates it.

Do I have anything to worry about? Thanks!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So what carriers iphone 5 did you buy?
Is it a sprint iphone?
You know those will only work with Sprint USA right?
What carrier are you trying to use it on?
You're sure he didn't leave his find my iphone turned on still on the phone judging how he left his facebook and everything still installed with all his info. And you're positive that it doesn't have a bad esn?

unicorns16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
So what carriers iphone 5 did you buy?
Is it a sprint iphone?
You know those will only work with Sprint USA right?
What carrier are you trying to use it on?
You're sure he didn't leave his find my iphone turned on still on the phone judging how he left his facebook and everything still installed with all his info. And you're positive that it doesn't have a bad esn?

Hi! Thanks! The ESN turned out ok on online checks. Are those reliable?

It is a Sprint phone, and I am trying to use with Sprint, USA.

How would I check to see if find my iphone is turned on?
If it helps, everything he forgot to delete from the phone is back from around mid-September, which I'm guessing is when he switched phones or something.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
This is why i stopped buying phones from random people online.

Only buy a phone if it comes with the original receipt.

Not sure if you know, but people sell used phones and report them stolen days or weeks after the sale, so they can get a new one via insurance. Once a phone is reported stolen, only the original purchase receipt can unblacklist the phone. There is NOTHING you can do about it otherwise. Reporting to the cops/phone carrier wont help any.

And please dont believe anything the seller says. For all you know hes just blowing smoke

unicorns16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014

unicorns16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
That's definitely good.

Thank you for your help.

I think I was scammed. Luckily, he left his FB logged in and I found where he goes to high school, so I could contact his superiors for justice to be served.

This is now resolved, thanks!

----------

This is why i stopped buying phones from random people online.

Only buy a phone if it comes with the original receipt.

Not sure if you know, but people sell used phones and report them stolen days or weeks after the sale, so they can get a new one via insurance. Once a phone is reported stolen, only the original purchase receipt can unblacklist the phone. There is NOTHING you can do about it otherwise. Reporting to the cops/phone carrier wont help any.

And please dont believe anything the seller says. For all you know hes just blowing smoke

Thank you!

Next time I buy a used phone, I am making the person come with me to the Sprint store and stand there while they activate it on my account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.