Bought used iphone. What now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skelaw, Dec 30, 2008.

1. skelaw macrumors member

Alright, my friend sold me his almost new iphone (he had 2 for some reason). This is a 2G 8GB not unlocked iphone.

It's not the 2.2 version.

I am actually on Verizon, but I'm okay with having 2 services.

What I want to do is the pick-your-plan deal from AT&T. The guy at ATT said I could do it at my home, after I inquired from him some things about the iphone.

So, where do I get a SIM card?And how do I get the 'pick your plan'?

If I need to clarify anything for you guys, just tell me

Aleks

2. cmrunner83 macrumors newbie

Just go on AT&T's website if you are having trouble deciding which plan to choose with the iPhone. There is an iPhone page which lists all the plans compatible. You can get a SIM card from your local AT&T store. If you ask nicely or get the right person, they will usually give it to you for free. Or, if you buy an accessory while you're in, they will probably give it to you for free. Just go on iTunes to activate your phone and you should be good to go! Just make sure you have AT&T add the correct iPhone data plan to your account. If you have the wrong one, they will start sending you text messages and eventually will just add it to your bill.. The 2G data plan is only $20.00 per month and it includes 200 text messages.

I have the 2G and I love it! Good luck!

3. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I've done my research, and I'm goign to go with the 29.99 plan, with unlimited texting.

I've heard of people failing credit checks to get toeh the pick your plan.

How do you go about doing this?

4. cmrunner83 macrumors newbie

I'm not really sure about how the credit check works, sorry. I'm sure they will be happy to walk you through it.. :)

I wouldn't think you have anything to fear if you 1) already have your iPhone [are not buying it from them] and 2) are choosing one of the least expensive plans..

5. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

Well, I've heard that apple makes you do a 2 year contract, but I don't know how to bypass that at all, to get straight to the pick your plan options.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

7. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

And then I activate it through itunes.

I don't want to be locked into a 2 year contract. I just want a way to do pick your plan. The 29.99 w/ unlimited texting and 20 dollar data plan.

8. cmrunner83 macrumors newbie

Actually, I wasn't thinking straight.. The pick-your-plan is not compatible with the iPhone. AT&T requires a 2 year contract as well as the data plan. Sorry.

If you go to the iPhone's page on AT&T it will show the plans the iPhone is compatible with.. Or, if you have some friends that use AT&T you could get on a family plan with them and only be paying $9.99 a month for your line plus the data plan package... And if you want unlimited texting on a family plan, it's $30 per month and includes every phone on the plan.. Just an idea.

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Since the phone was used and assuming already activated. All you have to do is insert a sim card from an existing AT&T account.

AT&T has requirement for 3G specific plan, that's something you have to call AT&T to discuss.

I can tell you right now that $20 data plan won't work for 3G.

10. cmrunner83 macrumors newbie

He said it was a 2G.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Great! Call AT&T, what do I know.

12. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

The phone has never been used.

I tried going to an ATT store to get a pick your plan with a 3G, but they said its not possible but it is possible with a 2G.

I just don't know how to get to that part.

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

1-800-331-0500

14. cmrunner83 macrumors newbie

If you have the 2G, then the $20 data plan is the one you will be using. I was unaware that they are offering pick-your-plan with the 2G, but if that is the case I would think you should just be able to go in and sign up. I have never done pick-your-plan..

15. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Seeing as some people can be right bastards here and people who have been around 5minutes think they know it all, so I'll do what I can to help you to get a pick your plan month-to-month contract.

If I remember what happened back in the day you did have to fail the credit check, to do this I believe you just had to put all zeros in the social security number, then, seeing as they won't be able to find you you would fail the credit check.

Hope this helps buddy.

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Right, as oppose to tell the guy to call AT&T, we should all give him half ass answers from the best of our knowledge.

It's quite simple, call AT&T.

17. sparkyms macrumors 65816

AT&T will most likely not give him help to do that, they're not going to help him intentionally fail the credit check are they?
    They want to tie you into a 2-year contract, they're not going to stop stressing that fact.

That is a fact though, not the best of my knowledge. And I just double checked through some forums as well as the AT&T one.

:)

18. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I already told him to just insert a sim card.

It's a 2G phone, he can unlock it and put in whatever sim card he wants.

19. sparkyms macrumors 65816

20. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Goes back to square one, call AT&T!

21. sparkyms macrumors 65816

22. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

Alright, so I just came back from ATT, and I just went up and asked for a SIM card. they gave one to me, and now, I'm doign the entire battery charge up thing on the iphone. tomorrow I will try to fail the credit check.

Thanks for all the help guys!

23. sparkyms macrumors 65816

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Umm, I'm pretty sure if you get an iPhone from *not AT&T*, you won't be in a 2 year contract. I already had a 2 year contract running, got an iPhone from my cousin, popped in my SIM card, activated through iTunes, and I still had an upgrade available on my line..and I still do.